Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gelcoat + Metal Flake

Goad
    I am going to be doing a gelcoat job on a boat that entirely metalflake.
    How do you guys suggest i do this? Should i lay down flake (how?) then clear gelcoat over it?
    That seems right, but how should I lay down the first layer of flake?
    Also, I was told to seal the current metal flake to prevent future contamination of the new gel....since its the reason its currently flaking.
    This is going to be my first gelcoat job.
    Thanks!
    http://www.socaljetboats.com/cpg/alb...icture_001.jpg

Goad
    also, where can I find a good selection of metal/glitter flake?

Goad
    http://www.fibreglast.com/
    yeah, I just found that link too....good info about glitterflake and how to apply it.
    Any suggestions on where I can find a good selection of glitterflake? FibreGlast has a couple of basic colors, but nothing that will match what I am trying to do.
    Thanks for the link!

BILLY.B
    I am going to be doing a gelcoat job on a boat that entirely metalflake.
    How do you guys suggest i do this? Should i lay down flake (how?) then clear gelcoat over it?
    That seems right, but how should I lay down the first layer of flake?
    Also, I was told to seal the current metal flake to prevent future contamination of the new gel....since its the reason its currently flaking.
    This is going to be my first gelcoat job.
    Thanks!
    http://www.socaljetboats.com/cpg/alb...re_001.jpgGood luck. I've been doing V-Drive Video's flatty and it's a job an a half. Full flake job that will have candy graphic's all over it. Once the boat was preped we went through 7 jars of silver flake (including the bottom), and several gallons of urethane clear. The reason for your flaking problem is that it was cleared at sometime (not from the factory) and thats whats flaking off. Gel won't flake like that. Your going to have to sand that all off, fix any imperfections, primer, sand, seal, and start you painting process. You can find flake thru "House of Kolor". Ck with your local autobody/ paint store of choice and they should be able to help you out.

victorfb
    OSF old school flake has a very large variety of flake sizes and colors. including pearls. check your local paint supply house. mine in temecula calif didnt have what i needed and refered me to another guy in murietta. not sure if he was the maunfacturer or not, but he carried everything in bulk. he even came to my house to deliver some before because he was in the area. even offered to help with the project if i needed. and this was gel work, not paint.

Xlration Marine
    Might want to get a sledge hammer and hit yourself in the head with it. Metal flake is a bitch. You should see my friends bass boat. Left it in the sun. Metal flake= metal, well the metal would expand and contrack and over a couple of years it felt like 40 grit sand paper. A ranger bass boat, brand new. Now it needs a bunch of work. It came up through the clear, what a mess. Try pearl power, looks more up to date than metal flake. Besides you can stack the colors and get some bitchin looks from it.

Goad
    Might want to get a sledge hammer and hit yourself in the head with it. Metal flake is a bitch. You should see my friends bass boat. Left it in the sun. Metal flake= metal, well the metal would expand and contrack and over a couple of years it felt like 40 grit sand paper. A ranger bass boat, brand new. Now it needs a bunch of work. It came up through the clear, what a mess. Try pearl power, looks more up to date than metal flake. Besides you can stack the colors and get some bitchin looks from it.
    I think you had problems with your application process....if the problem you had held true to every metal flaked boat, then wouldnt they all turn out to be as you described?

DUECE'SDAD
    Lots and lots and lots of clear And sanding !!!! Shoot some tacky clear first to get the flake to stick

I've been getting more and more into the metal flake, and have found that the 2.5 tip works out ok, but the old school way of laying down flake (i cannot remember the name of it but it acts like a hopper)works much better, and makes blending rep's much easier you might want to lay down a nice tack cote before using the dry flake, oh! one more thing, you will be sweeping up the wasted flake for months to come! LOL
    Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast