Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnetos

Thunderbutt
    Give me a show of hands of the guys that still run Magnetos in there boats. It seems that the Mag. has gone by the way side and The Distributors are in. I happen to have a Joe Hunt Vertex in my boat. For 30 years of good service with 1-rebuild. So I don't understand why the Mag left the Boating market. I don't think the Cat and Tunnel guys know what they are.

spectras only
    It's not boat related ,just let you know my 1947 Norton still runs with it's original magdyno [magneto coupled with dynamo/generator, for the younger generation to know].I got MSD with the 24 spectra when I bought it,so I use it .

Thunderbutt
    Atti, Thanks for our reply. Getting a rise out of these guys is like kicking a dead dog. Your all class, you must be a Spectra owner. You to Brent.

HYDROMOBILE
    Jim All my boats have vertex mags in them. race and ski (3) of them. Jim Brock

SPECTRABRENT
    JIm,
    It seems all you old guys (just kiding) like the Mag.. My friend JIm Brock (Hydromoble) likes the mag also, I like the MSD.
    Brent

Infomaniac
    I run a Vertex mag in mine. I would run the MSD mag if I had the extra cash. I was running an MSD 6M before switching to alcohol.
    Thunderbutt: At least 1 tunnel guy (myself) knows about mags.
    [This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited February 19, 2002).]

DEL51
    This subject was also addressed on the blower motor forum.People were pro msd all the way.I think magnetos have certain attributes, don't know them all.i have a vertex and never had a problem.I went with a crank trigger 6al w/retard set up for nitrous use.Someone in that forum said they were no good and i asked the question,"if they were old technology why would msd produce a magneto?" I assume you have looked through a catalog from msd. It is amazing how many ignition options they offer.They have 2 specifications they use, spark energy in millijoules and spark duration in degrees of crankshaft rotation.There is a company out there that sells some type of super wire that is suppose to really increase the spark energy, called Nology.I read about them in one of the car mags.I've never seen a true in depth comparison of ignitions using a dyno, not to mention the horsepower levels we're familiar with.those Nology wires are around $300.00 a set.I had a bad experience with Accel wires, I ordered a universal set and only 7 wires came.I tried 3 times to get it straightened out and had a friend call also.I gave up,Poor customer service.

SK48
    I run a vertex in my Biesemeyer. I like the
    keep it simple theory. Never had a problem
    with the mag, can't say the same for electronic ignitions in boats.

eliminator777
    I have run mags on every thing from fuel hemis to BBc in my day cruiser. Think about this. Middle of day HALF way between London Bridge and Parker Dam,Elect. short or problem alt.goes out engines running a mag gets you back engine runs fine. electronic ing. runs like crap if you run a blower it detonates hurts parts. One thing about boats you never know .Its just one less thing to go wrong

obnoxious001
    I have a polished Vertex with wires for sale complete with a set of Mallory pro wires, works great. $350.
    agt001@aol.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast