Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife can't drive the boat...Hydraulic helm?

Perfect Mixer
    How hard is it to have someone add full hydraulic steering to my party cat? My wife is unable to keep the boat going in a straight line. I've talked to advantage a couple of times and they told me that everything is operating normally. So if this is normal, I either need to add a hydraulic helm or sell it. Any suggestions?
    Sam

djunkie
    Keep having her practice. I did this with my g/f. On a quiet day at the lake I had her practice docking the boat and just normal idling around. It took a little while but shes a pro now.

Kilrtoy
    Your steering cable is probably a little streched out

Havasu_Dreamin
    Kilr is most likely correct. Iif there is an overabundance of 'slop' in the wheel, the first thing to check is the steering cable for tightness.
    If your boat is capable of speeds in excess of 70 you should have hydraulic steering anyway. If you've never driven a boat with full hydraulic steering try and get a chance to drive one and compare the 'feel' in the wheel to your boat. After having full hydraulic steering I will never own a boat without it.

BoatFloating
    Kilr is most likely correct. Iif there is an overabundance of 'slop' in the wheel, the first thing to check is the steering cable for tightness.
    If your boat is capable of speeds in excess of 70 you should have hydraulic steering anyway. If you've never driven a boat with full hydraulic steering try and get a chance to drive one and compare the 'feel' in the wheel to your boat. After having full hydraulic steering I will never own a boat without it.
    Never say Kilr is right.... Oh the horror

Perfect Mixer
    Well, the boat is only a couple of years old so I hope that the cable isn't stretched. I've taken it back a couple of times and they told me it's normal. I think that it is a little difficult to steer myself.

Biglue
    Keep having her practice. I did this with my g/f. On a quiet day at the lake I had her practice docking the boat and just normal idling around. It took a little while but shes a pro now.
    Pah-lease.....we all know she's the "driver". Who you trying to fool?

Well, the boat is only a couple of years old so I hope that the cable isn't stretched. I've taken it back a couple of times and they told me it's normal. I think that it is a little difficult to steer myself.
    The full hydrolic is awsome. The only way to go.

Kilrtoy
    Never say Kilr is right.... Oh the horror
    You took awhile, but your use to it now

Boatlesss
    Your the ultimate judge of what is good or bad.
    All it requires, assuming you have a Mercury engine, is a helm unit, some dash 6 hose and fittings, steering wheel hub assm. and a cylinder with the appropriate fittings and brackets.
    Be like driving an old Buick. Eazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast