Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBC Vortec Heads and Intake Q

bigblockbill
    Is it true I can run SBC Vortec heads with an old style intake by slotting the holes for the two center bolts on each side of the intake. I am building a motor and would like to use the Vortec heads but need to use the stock GM iron 4 bbl intake. Or do you think I am better off finding some camel hump heads or something.

cfm
    No. Totally different. Vortec has 4 intake bolts per side at 90° angle vs six per side at typical angles.
    The slotting the two middle hole deal is when using a pre-86 intake on the 86-95 late model (centerbolt) heads or vice versa. Weiand actually has angled washers to make that even better.

IMPATIENT 1
    the vortecs will out flow the double humps all day long. buy the cheapo professional products vortec intake and clean up the ports.we just stuck a set on a buddy's 69swb with the cheapo intake(single plane with 3k stall) and its runs really respectable! the intake had to be ported alittle and he casting isn't perfect looking but after we cleaned up all the casting marks and ported it, it was basically a vortec style victor jr. without the price.make sure you get your vortec intake gaskets from the dealership,the felpros are still inpregnated plastic, the new gm part intake gasket are metal and don't warped and bust up the gaskets like the old one do.

curtis73
    Is it true I can run SBC Vortec heads with an old style intake by slotting the holes for the two center bolts on each side of the intake. I am building a motor and would like to use the Vortec heads but need to use the stock GM iron 4 bbl intake. Or do you think I am better off finding some camel hump heads or something.
    You're thinking about the 87-95 heads that had 90* center bolts. The vortec has no center bolts.

bigblockbill
    Thanks for all the replies. Am I right in thinking there are no 4bbl iron intakes around for the vortec heads? We have a no Alum intakes and no header rule. The intake may be my bigest problem to over come.

Tahiti350
    I "think" chevy makes one... I know they are available someplace out there...

G-Body
    You can redrill the vortec heads to fit the old style intakes. I have heard that there will be very little sealing surface for the intake manifold gasket but it will work. One of the larger GM Performance parts dealers used to sell them redrilled for the old style intakes. I believe it was SDPC, but I just checked their site and they are no longer listed? You might want to give them a call and see if they can get them anymore. http://www.sdpc2000.com/
    I googled it and on one forum they mentioned that you lose some power because of the misalignment on the intake ports http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=66113

curtis73
    Don't the carbed marine vortecs have iron intakes?

IMPATIENT 1
    Don't the carbed marine vortecs have iron intakes?
    i've seen 1 myself, just can't remember what motor package it was on.most of the crate motors had the gm performance parts intake(alum).
    the heads have different angles too, its gonna take some gasket stacking to seal it up to an old style intake. after choking the heads down with the old style intake, why bother even bolting them on?, go with the double humps.

curtis73
    True, but from what I understand the vortec iron intake is the same casting as the aluminum, just done in iron. It flows as well as an edelbrock performer if that's true. The raised ports help a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast