Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well it runs but....

Kindsvater Flat
    I got my my pan that the cousin built for me and put the motor in thursday night. I primed the oil system and it fired right off. Sounded real sweet until I saw the oil pressure. 40lbs on a tight motor was not really what I wanted. revved the motor to 2k quick and it bounced from 40-80lbs. Now pissed and cracking another beer, I rack my brain and think maybe the relief is sticking. Being its a BB mopar I pulled the oil pump in less than a minute and tore it apart. Didn't see a thing.
    Now I put it back together and shimmed the relief, reinstalled it and still no change. I decided to stick the air drill on my oil primer and see what the pressure was with the motor not turning. 85lbs. Now thats where it used to run. Next while running the air drill I cranked over the motor and the pressure dropped and raised. (I also noticed that the oil pressure bounce was timed perfectly with the lope of the cam.) I pulled the tunnel ram and valley cover then ran the drill. Guess what I saw? I saw a lifter at the bottom of its bore with oil gushing out. I then cranked it over while doing this. Shit everyone blows oil at the bottom of there travel. Now back to the book. I look up the base circle of a stock cam and then check the spec of my erson cam. Looks like erson cracked a silver bullet to. The erson cam was a little smaller dia. I checked my old erson cam and it was the same. The only difference is that I ran a solid shell lifter with the old cam and they gave me hour glass shaped ones this time. Well here is a pic before I tore it back apart.

wsuwrhr
    Kindsvator, I don't really have an answer for you. I have never had to use a small base circle can in a big block Mopar. I am guessing due to the weekend you couldn't call Erson to ask what they did when testing the profile.
    Nonetheless, 10 lbs per 1000 RPMs is the rule of thumb, too much oil pressure can wipe out the bearings also.
    Brian

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    It sure looks good eek!

Kindsvater Flat
    CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
    It sure looks good eek! Thats for when it doesn't run.

Kindsvater Flat,
    That looks REALLY nice. Looks like a great shop too.
    My best friend moved out of so cal about 11 years ago and now lives in Paradise. He runs a houseboat company in Chico and goes to Oroville a lot to deliver boats. Have you ever heard of those floating campgrounds there? He was telling me about them and we're going to try to get one next summer? Ever been to those? I would think they're hotter than hell in mid August with no AC. Maybe in June would be the best time?

Monkey Bung
    Kindsvater Flat:
    CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
    It sure looks good eek! Thats for when it doesn't run. That sucks..sorry to here that frown

Kindsvater Flat
    old rigger:
    Kindsvater Flat,
    That looks REALLY nice. Looks like a great shop too.
    My best friend moved out of so cal about 11 years ago and now lives in Paradise. He runs a houseboat company in Chico and goes to Oroville a lot to deliver boats. Have you ever heard of those floating campgrounds there? He was telling me about them and we're going to try to get one next summer? Ever been to those? I would think they're hotter than hell in mid August with no AC. Maybe in June would be the best time? Thats over at LimeSaddle marina. Thats where they store all the houseboats. A friend of ours had an 80 footer there. The last 2 weeks here have been running between 100 to 112. June is great but it still gets hot. It cools off pretty good in the evenings. It was 102 yesterday and got down to around 68 last night. Some of the house boats have a/c in them. Lake Oroville is nice. Neighbor runs a 33' Fountain there. It can get pretty choppy at times. Banderloggers are there this weekend so hopefully they took pictures. I was hoping to be done and take a quick trip there. Takes about 20 minutes for me.

Kindsvater Flat
    Well I wasn't going to sit on my ass today so I went to the river. Drank quite a few silvers and had a good time up until.... Well I was riding in a friends blown jet and hauling ass, boat shook then died. Milked to motor and got towed in. Upon further investigation while he was drying it I found half of an eagle rod and the cap laying in the bottom of the boat. He had 2 exit wounds in the pan. Oh well.

Sangster
    Eagle rods Suck....

BILLY.B
    Kindsvater Flat:
    Well I wasn't going to sit on my ass today so I went to the river. Drank quite a few silvers and had a good time up until.... Well I was riding in a friends blown jet and hauling ass, boat shook then died. Milked to motor and got towed in. Upon further investigation while he was drying it I found half of an eagle rod and the cap laying in the bottom of the boat. He had 2 exit wounds in the pan. Oh well. Remind me to never give you a ride K-flat. I think you have a black cloud following you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast