Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Truck Broke in Havi

DaddyMack
    stock height still...luckily I guess

Outnumbered
    stock height still...luckily I guess
    Are you juiced up? 800 lb/ft of torque will take a stock driveshaft out if you put you foot in it a lot. Seems strange that the d-shaft would let go. They are beefy.

STV_Keith
    Are you juiced up? 800 lb/ft of torque will take a stock driveshaft out if you put you foot in it a lot.
    Not true. While I have seen u-joints go, the drive shafts are pretty solid. Again, 1500ft-lbs/750hp, 4HI launches at the drag strip with all stock driveline components.
    My daily driver is 1050ft-lbs with a manual, and that thing has survived with no problems for almost 100k now.

DaddyMack
    Are you juiced up? 800 lb/ft of torque will take a stock driveshaft out if you put you foot in it a lot. Seems strange that the d-shaft would let go. They are beefy.
    No.. not that either... Wierd stuff.. dealer was surpised too... this was a work truck in utah...its previously life... it could have been abused a bit.. I have friends with their trucked juiced and the 2500's can easily handle that kind of torque apparently. Well.. at least mine will be new again..lol

Outnumbered
    Not true. While I have seen u-joints go, the drive shafts are pretty solid. Again, 1500ft-lbs/750hp, 4HI launches at the drag strip with all stock driveline components.
    My daily driver is 1050ft-lbs with a manual, and that thing has survived with no problems for almost 100k now.
    I know the u-joint is the weak link in the drive shaft. I was lumping the d-shaft and u-joints into one component and I assume that is what failed when he said the "drive shaft went next to the transfer case". If it was not the actual u-joint then that is strange. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tahiti350
    Glad it's being taken care of, weird that the case cracked.
    I have an older ('76) Dodge that I've been building up over about 5 years now. 440, 727, NV205 case, 1-ton axles, 33x12.50x16's Anyway, had the trans and case rebuilt during the build, but the calendar warranty expired before I had the truck drivable. Once I got it up and running was backing down my driveway (idling) and broke a gear in the case, shoved the broken piece out the bottom, quarter sized hole thru the case, center bottom. :sqeyes: Swapped my spare T-case in and truck still wouldn't move. When the t-case broke it wiped the sprague in the trans!!!! I can move the truck by putting the trans in Low gear, pulling away, and then shifting up to second.
    Trans shop that built the case said "Sorry, warranty expired" , warranty was 12 month, 12,000 miles. Case was about 2 years old and had less than 10 miles on it when it broke. It was installed and filled with oil as soon as I got it from the shop. I still need to pull the t-case and trans out to be redone (spare t-ccase has a minor bearing whine and unknown milage), but not sure I want to go back to the same shop again....:idea:

DaddyMack
    I know the u-joint is the weak link in the drive shaft. I was lumping the d-shaft and u-joints into one component and I assume that is what failed when he said the "drive shaft went next to the transfer case". If it was not the actual u-joint then that is strange. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I'll know specifically when I pick up the truck tomorrow a.m....

DaddyMack
    Oky.. so I picked up the truck.. .. the bottom line was that it looks like the viscous coupler went (universal joint), when it did the vibaration was so bad it cracked the transfer case (hairline). So I picked up the truck from Havi and drove it right to the dealer in Vegas. Guess what... they consider it a new claim (covered by warranty) because I took the truck to another dealer and, therefore, they pay for another rental car while they change out the case!!
    bad news... driving a PT Cruiser... Good news.. warranty covered everything... truck back like new on Tuesday

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234