Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DMV - WTF: Garnished Tax Return for Veh. I don't own!

probablecause
    WTF, the DMV garnished 35.00 from my tax return for a quad/atv that I have not owned for 11 months!!! I sent the forms when I sold the vehicle but kept getting these notices. Sent them another letter and, of course, heard nothing. Get my State tax return back and now had 35.00 taken out for the vehicle. Of course I don't have the guy's name who bought it since it has been so long. They give you phone numbers to call but they are all automated and none lead to a live person. I am just trying to figure out how the State can legally garnish part of a return and continue to do so when I have filled out the paperwork that they request.
    Anyone been down this road before?

YeLLowBoaT
    with out a Bill of Sale your kind of skrewed... yes you can say you sold it, but you can't prove it...

robk
    I didn't have money garnished... but I did receive a tax bill from the O.C. Tax Assessor's office regarding a jet ski I had sold, two years in a row after the sale.
    I ended up having to write a letter to the tax people and the DMV and the notices stopped. The phone system won't get you anywhere.
    DMV just doesn't get it.

SummerBreeze
    You should be glad it was only $35 bucks

C-2
    Typical action by the State - levy first, ask questions later. Good luck on it.

I had the exact same problem. I sold a dirt bike to a kid and he never had it registered in his name. The next 2 or 3 years I kept getting a notice for renewal of the registration. I called DMV and told them what happened. First two years I still had all the information for they kid I sold it to. I passed this onto the DMV and they said no problem, they would take care of if. The following year the same thing happens. The third time I no longer had the kids info but still called DMV. Spoke with a supervisor and told her my story. She took the info that I colud remember and sent a release of Liablity form that I filled out and returned along with a bill of sale. I kept copies for my records and have not had a problem since.

C-2
    My neighbor traded in a truck, the dealer fouled up the paperwork, the new owner was buzzing thru the Fastrack without paying. Eventually the new owner smashed the truck up.
    A year later, me neighbr got served with a lawsuit. Big mess, I don't know if they ever figured out who dropped the ball on the paperwork.
    Not that it's related to Probable's situation, but when it comes to personal property taxes on boats, jet skis (county taxes most people confuse with "luxury tax"), it's important to nip it in the bud. Otherwise, they too lien first and ask questions later.

Baja Big Dog
    Doesnt that piss you off....had it happen, its easy to avoid, send in the "release of liability" form attached to the pink slip, its the one that I always threw away, not anymore, fill it out and have it sent return reciept requested, its a pain to go the the post office, but it can save you in the long run. The responsibility lies on you, not the buyer since some states are not too good at reporting out of state sales.
    And rest assured, the state will attach anything they want to get their money, Im chipping porcelin off my teeth writing this it pisses me off so much.

jeepinscott
    I am going through the exact same thing, but it's $200 and change. I sold my boat overseas to a guy in Australia and a dirtbike locally. I sent in the releases of liability. They told me to 'prove' that I sold the boat. Shouldn't they have to 'prove' that I didn't?

One Particular Harbor
    Mine was under different circumstances, but another gentleman, with the same first and last name as my own, living in a different city, with a different social security number, driver license number, etc. received a traffic ticket in the 909 area code. My employer at the time received a garnish wages order from the State/DMV (I had received literally no, zero, nada notice from the DMV regarding this).
    I called the DMV and, in short order, we sorted out that this was another individual (still had to "prove" that I was not this person by faxing in my driver's license and some additional proofs of identity) and the matter was dropped. But, bottom line, they (the State/DMV) was literally able to conduct an Internet search, find someone with the same name in the same county, and with no additional notice, verification of identity, etc. issue an order to my employer to garnish wages.
    I agree with the previous post...you're guilty until proven innocent in these matters and this seems very much a violation of our rights.
    OPH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast