Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whirlaway or NO Whirlaway

CircleJerk
    I would appreciate your views as to their safety value to our slow circle boats {average speed is under 60 mph}. I am aware that APBA requires them as well as drag boats under a certain E.T. but are they really worth the moola and requiring them?? We are in the difficult process of adding and deleting rules to our Nostalgic racing classes and I value everyones opinion here in the forum. I run one in the faster hull {averages 65 mph for three laps}, but at what speed should they be required? I will take your input to the rules meeting. Thanks in advance! Jerkster..Hates to discourage any nostalgic racer new or old !

CJ, While I am a strong advocate of everything safety, I'd think that 60-65 would be a pretty safe speed to experience engine lock up without going over. There are always flukes and exceptions...for example if it happened in the middle of a hard turn, may go over who knows. I would be comfortable though in a 60 mph situation with motor lock up without the ww (as long as it's your motor ). Just my opinion.

future boater
    now o noticed that you said avg. speed was 65. how fast are you going down the straights?
    [ October 10, 2002, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: future boater ]

boatguy222
    CJ,
    I think it would be a good idea in the "Fast" class, another boat besides mine ran over 70mph on the 3/4 mile oval, as you know we had ALOT left in the boat , I figured we were running in the 90's down the chutes, I know that is fast enough to get in big trouble. I don't think I would rig a race boat without one, even the type of racing we are doing.
    If you have a couple more APBA caliber boat come to race we will need the saftey gear, because everyone else will try to step-up to that level.

superV
    Could someone please tell me how they work? How much they are? Maybe a pic of one? Do I need one in a 20' crusier running around 65-70mhp. Thanks for any info.

GofastRacer
    boatguy222:
    CJ,
    I think it would be a good idea in the "Fast" class, another boat besides mine ran over 70mph on the 3/4 mile oval, as you know we had ALOT left in the boat , I figured we were running in the 90's down the chutes, I know that is fast enough to get in big trouble. I don't think I would rig a race boat without one, even the type of racing we are doing.
    If you have a couple more APBA caliber boat come to race we will need the saftey gear, because everyone else will try to step-up to that level.Got to agree, I think anything that goes 70 or better needs one!!..A long time ago, I had a wire come loose on the ignition and the motor died while on the power, according to the rpm, I was running about 70 to 75, not expecting that, I almost ended up on the deck!, that wasn't too cool!!..Personally, I won't drive or ride in a boat that goes over 70 without a Whirlaway!!!..Just my .02!!.....

GofastRacer
    superV:
    Could someone please tell me how they work? How much they are? Maybe a pic of one? Do I need one in a 20' crusier running around 65-70mhp. Thanks for any info. Super V, click on the site up top, you can see pics of the parts and Tom can give you a price on one, I havn't bought one in quite awhile so I couldn't tell you what they cost!!....

ACCEPTENCE
    Well...thats a good question and a great idea. But lets really think about it. It seems to me anything a guy could do to avoid the possibility of going on his head would be a no brainer question. Sure...you have to consider the cost involved of buying and installing the whirlaway but then again how do you compare the cost of your injuries or your life to a boat part. Make the whirlaway mandatory and if someone can't afford it, to bad stay home!!!

gnRacer98
    If you have any doubt as to the need for a whirlaway I would suggest a simulation. Go down to your local truckstop,ask a friendly trucker if you could stand on top of his trailer while he drives under a brdige at 65mph, IF you can walk away after your face impacts the concrete (no cheatin, you gotta face forward)I would say you probably don't need a whirlaway.

ACCEPTENCE
    Serious LMAO !!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast