Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Whirlaway or NO Whirlaway

blondie#1
    By the way, the only reason the Ski Boat class was allowed 6 boats in this class was we had 1 rookie and he or she is required to stay in the back until the starting marshalls OK his ability to race with the rest of us. So on Sunday when he was released to race we where down to 5 boats. So it all works out. All first time racers with us are required to stay behind the first day. Then the racers rep/race commissioner finds out what the race marshall says, in order for him to race or if he/she is still required to stay in the back one more day. So far, one day has been the judgement on all new drivers. We have a great bunch of guys and lady's who drive very well and don't want to scratch, break or run over anyone so far.

CircleJerk
    Rexone:
    Seems to be quite a range of opinions on this one which I think is a good thing. As I stated earlier, I'd be comfortable personally at 60-65 goin along and shuttin the key off. 75-80, gettin a little on the edge there. Depending on the boat it would "probably" be fine with just a little stuff, hit the steering wheel, maybe a little sore, etc. That's how I feel about it "personally".
    Now would I recommend what I would be comfortable with personally to anyone else? Not a chance. I'm not much of a gambler. In our litigeous (sp?) society it's unfortunate but it seems many times people can't claim responsibility for their own decisions and actions. To some, it would be thier normal thought track to blame the racing assn that didn't take every step possible to guarantee their safety in the event they locked up a motor and went on their head and got hurt (in this case not requiring a whirlaway). Remember, anyone can (and many times will) sue anyone else for anything regardless of actual fault, liability releases, etc. Therefore, if I was running a racing assn. I'd have to insist on every safty implementation known to man. It's unfortunate in my opinion that it has to be this way and people can't make their own choice to some degree whether they run a safety item like a whirlaway or not. Bottom line is though, in our society the legal implications of not requiring safety stuff if it's known it "might" have prevented a problem, are pretty substantial. And I personally would want all the legal protection I could get in this situation.
    All that really boils down to very little to do with whether it's actually safe or not, and more whether you have an unacceptable level of legal liabilty or not. I don't agree with it but it's the rules we have to deal with when something goes wrong and someone is hurt or killed. Our freedoms are somewhat limited by lawyers I guess which is kind of sad.
    Now having said all that, 70's and above should have releases for safety. Just my opinion.Mike, Thank you, and I couldnt agree with you more! This really says it all and I hope it does for anyone posting or LURKING here! eek! We have to have all the safety stuff even if it does'nt work or is not neccessary! Why? It's due to the threat of a law suit, which could result in the demise of Nostalgic Racing and the outboard club that made it possible in the first place. I can not begin to tell you all how helpful this column has been. Let me just say, that my direction and goals ARE altered. I apologize to those experienced racers and flatbottom experts who may have been insulted or angered here on this forum, on this topic or others: {v-drive placement}. Hopefully, some like myself, were enlightened, or is the word EDUCATED? wink SK88,FlatRACER, and MikeREX, I would be honored if you would except a personal invitation to attend our Racers Reunion Regatta as my VIP guests! Heck I may even take up a collection for air fare! I'll keep you all informed to the rule changes. JERKOUTANDOVER
    [ October 11, 2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

Riptide01
    Superdave,
    I have been Mtn. biking in Utah. And scared the shit out of myself. Yes helmets are a smart thing,as I almost went on my head. And I was not wearing any protective gear.
    I feel the way I do about the safety rules of the nostalgia racing. Because I would like to see it stay FUN and AFFORDABLE.
    I have grown up around these boats and pretty much know all the things they can and cant do.
    Are whirl-a-ways a good idea ? HELL YES.
    I disagree that they should be forced down someones throat. Especially someone trying to start out in racing.
    I recently started scuba diving. You can start cheap and safe. Then work you way into more expensive and safer stuff.
    Thats the way this nostalgia thing should be.
    Maybe it needs one or two more classes.
    Beginners, ski boat , 60- 70 mph and a 70-and up class.
    Just my 2 cents.

Thanks jerk, let me know when & where the event is and I'll try and make it if schedule permits. Glad I could be of some help to your cause. Can't be too careful on the legal crap these days because of all the jackass's out there just waitin to sue for just about anything.

126driver
    Riptide - EXACTLY!

missilemud
    i have video of me tossing my ex-girl friend clear across my neck, i love that video. copys for sale e-mail me

missilemud
    i meant to say deck and dick too

72 superlite
    http://community.webshots.com/r1/5/6...iQZFRYf_ph.jpg Probably an 80mph boat, motor locked up, no whirlaway. Boat is now buried in the Pierce County Landfill. Would hate to see that happen to any of the nostalgic, irreplacable pieces running now.

BigBoyToys
    And speaking of capsules....126driver, you gonna run in 2004? The new rules is what made me hang it up and switch to drags.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456