Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bottom blueprinting

Bottom is DA'd. You don't appreciate 19' until you start sanding I think I have pretty much decided to paint the whole boat. A new coat of BLACK.

Since you're at it you might as well. Any hook or rocker and if so what are you going to use for filler to address? Just curious cause I'm jones'n to get after doing mine

flat broke
    The trick/problem with doing a bottom isn't the phsyical act of doing the work (though that needs some thought and attention to detail as well). The rocket science (quite litterally in the case of Jeff Bennett's work) comes from knowing what the existing problems are and how to remedy them with the changes you plan to make on the bottom. Just smoothing the bottom, for the sake of smoothing it may not provide you with the results your looking for, and could in fact open up a whole new can of worms. I'm not saying don't do it, but you might want to talk with a few professionals who have experience with that hull before you start making changes.
    Chris

In my situation, I do not have a problem. The hull is a 1986 and the bottom is pretty rough. I do not have a porpoise ( for example), nor do I have anything more than 1/8". I figured that if I am going to clean it, I might as well do it the right way. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
    By sharing my experience, somebody else may learn and have great gains in doing the same thing. Plus, it gives me the excuse to give it a fresh coat of color. I wish I had the imagination to come up with some trick graphics!!!!
    The Black Bi**h will probably stay a simple black boat.
    I have talked to some folks as to what I am doing.

billet racing 1
    Hey Tim.
    When they are talkin blueprint, they mean squaring all surfaces as well. You maybe adding material to low spots, and you should be grinding down the high spots. Measure to make sure your lifting strakes are all even. Don't want the boat leaning sideways. Find the true center, measure the height of each flat surface, and you may find you'll need more work than you think.
    And yes, your trailer needs help as well. Cut the risers on your bunks, and reweld to match the bottom of the boat.
    All kind of ideas, but no help here. Trying to get my own set up done.
    Jerry

In this photo, it appears that a spoon was built into the hull too, HB can you verify this?
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3fix019.jpg

We'll have to see what comes back from Randy, but if Jeff put a bubble on it, it's not evident in the other photos.
    Mine's upside down in the driveway right now (yes..........again). I was contemplating putting one on mine, but I'd have been doing it without any kind of direction (how big, what shape, where? etc.) I ended up opting out.
    This the absolute last time I work on the bottom of this thing. If the bubble didn't work out that would mean I'd be back at it again.

HBjet
    No bubbles. Just making her straight and smooth!
    HBjet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast