Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onsite skeg repair in Anaheim, CA???

briangmr
    Anyone up for a little Bravo One skeg repair at my boat's storage facility in Anaheim, CA?
    Thanks.
    -Brian

h2oski2fast
    It's not that easy, take the drive off and take it to someone to fix it.

briangmr
    It's not that easy, take the drive off and take it to someone to fix it.
    That would take special tools and time, neither of which I have unfortunately.
    -Brian

TIMINATOR
    We do lots of 'em, but we're in Avondale,AZ. Some we do without removing, but removal does not require any spec. tools anyway. TIMINATOR

Paulie
    how bad is the skeg? just put a skeg
    guard on it

briangmr
    We do lots of 'em, but we're in Avondale,AZ. Some we do without removing, but removal does not require any spec. tools anyway. TIMINATOR
    Never pulled apart a Bravo One, but looking around I saw tools for pulling bearing carriers, seal drivers, gear shimming, etc. I couldn't imagine it would be as simple as loosening a few bolts and out pops the whole bottom end, that would be just way too easy. Maybe I should look into this some more. Thanks.

briangmr
    how bad is the skeg? just put a skeg
    guard on it
    I had a skeg guard on it that got a bit tweaked. There's about a five inch long sliver of aluminum missing from the front root of the skeg. One of my very knowledgable and generous coworkers offered to JB Weld it, but I probably won't take him up on that offer. If I just replace the guard, then the skeg will still be a bit unstable and subject to further degradation due to the loads transmitted over a smaller cross-section and the stress raiser caused by the missing sliver of metal. My big boat takes a lot to steer and puts a lot of strain on the outdrives.
    Thanks.

briangmr
    Just read this on another thread:
    "My advise it get a manual. They made the Bravo removal so easy a blind man can do it. Remove the cylinder arms(2 bolts) remove the 6 bolts attaching the drive to the bell housing and slide it back. The shifting cable will appear. Just lift up the little clamp and the cable slides out and off comes your outdrive. Hope that helps for future maintenance"
    Could it really be that easy??? I'm not blind, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

Paulie
    Just read this on another thread:
    "My advise it get a manual. They made the Bravo removal so easy a blind man can do it. Remove the cylinder arms(2 bolts) remove the 6 bolts attaching the drive to the bell housing and slide it back. The shifting cable will appear. Just lift up the little clamp and the cable slides out and off comes your outdrive. Hope that helps for future maintenance"
    Could it really be that easy??? I'm not blind, but hopefully that won't be a problem.
    if your boat wasnt so far away i would help you. Make sure you have a friend help you with the drive they are akward. also when you slide it back on the studs to release the shift cable be sure not to let it slide off or you can just break the cable. also if the drive is being a bear to get off you can use a block of wood between the transom housing and the drive. hope that helps.

briangmr
    if your boat wasnt so far away i would help you. Make sure you have a friend help you with the drive they are akward. also when you slide it back on the studs to release the shift cable be sure not to let it slide off or you can just break the cable. also if the drive is being a bear to get off you can use a block of wood between the transom housing and the drive. hope that helps.
    Thanks, Paulie. I appreciate the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast