Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet 572 /620hp pump gas

dragboat
    What would work better pulling tubes , skiers and still scream ?

FILUCKY
    572 Chevy 620hp=$13,000.00
    514 Ford 600hp=$7,400.00
    Both are crate motors and pump gas with about the same quality parts. So how much are you willing to pay to have the distributor in the back instead of the front?

flat broke
    572 Chevy 620hp=$13,000.00
    514 Ford 600hp=$7,400.00
    Both are crate motors and pump gas with about the same quality parts. So how much are you willing to pay to have the distributor in the back instead of the front?
    You might want to check yourself on the quality of parts statement. The 572 is a new block where the 514 is reconditioned, the 572 runs a forged steel crank, where the 514 has a cast iron crank. And while the rated hp of the 572 is right there with the ford, there has been article after article showing the motor making significantly more hp than advertised. Addtionally, more cubes will always support more HP potential. Start messing with cams, heads, and CR on each motor and they will both respond, but at an equal hp/ci ratio, the bigger motor will make more hp.
    Oh and one more thing.... with those Ford exhaust ports, you better hope you run OTs because there won't be much in the way of exhaust selection that will support your intended HP without using an adapter plate that generally sucks in the flow department. IMHO, if you've got a chubby for factory blue oval stuff, buy their short block, pick up a set of Blue Thunder heads with the Chevy exhaust port, and go from there.
    As far as crate offerings, I'm surprised that no one ever talks about the World Products crate offerings. They have a 509ci 560hp setup that goes for low 7s, and a 540ci/650hp for right around 10k.
    A lot more to choosing a jet boat motor, than which way the distributor goes in.
    Chris

dmontzsta
    You might want to check yourself on the quality of parts statement. The 572 is a new block where the 514 is reconditioned, the 572 runs a forged steel crank, where the 514 has a cast iron crank. And while the rated hp of the 572 is right there with the ford, there has been article after article showing the motor making significantly more hp than advertised. Addtionally, more cubes will always support more HP potential. Start messing with cams, heads, and CR on each motor and they will both respond, but at an equal hp/ci ratio, the bigger motor will make more hp.
    Oh and one more thing.... with those Ford exhaust ports, you better hope you run OTs because there won't be much in the way of exhaust selection that will support your intended HP without using an adapter plate that generally sucks in the flow department. IMHO, if you've got a chubby for factory blue oval stuff, buy their short block, pick up a set of Blue Thunder heads with the Chevy exhaust port, and go from there.
    As far as crate offerings, I'm surprised that no one ever talks about the World Products crate offerings. They have a 509ci 560hp setup that goes for low 7s, and a 540ci/650hp for right around 10k.
    A lot more to choosing a jet boat motor, than which way the distributor goes in.
    Chris
    I am pretty sure the blue thunder heads are chevy flanges, the exhaust ports are still Ford. Also, the journals on the Ford cranks are strong, so the cast crank can handle some serious power.

dragboat
    Thanks, I'll check them out

Instigator
    Why don't you put a real motor in there, like a olds 455? I know you got at least one under the bench in the garage. Seriously, lots of responses out there, fords, other crate engines. I would consider World products, quality stuff. Be sure and look at the rpm the peak power is made. The lower the rpm on the peak torque and horsepower the bigger the impeller you can run. I KNOW you want low rpm cruisin, go for the biggest cubes you can for the torque. Lots of 500 chevs and fords can make over 600 hp, if you want to run a B or AB cut impeller. Spin the crap out of them. Now, about the insurance man-------

dmontzsta
    How about the new Jon Kaase 901 cubic inch Ford.

FILUCKY
    I think you should do the oldest trick in the book, take the 'ol truck motor out clean it up with some nice crome valve covers and a tunnelram. Then lie like hell about how fast it went on your buddies GPS! About 90 mph sounds good to me.

dragboat
    Why don't you put a real motor in there, like a olds 455? I know you got at least one under the bench in the garage. Seriously, lots of responses out there, fords, other crate engines. I would consider World products, quality stuff. Be sure and look at the rpm the peak power is made. The lower the rpm on the peak torque and horsepower the bigger the impeller you can run. I KNOW you want low rpm cruisin, go for the biggest cubes you can for the torque. Lots of 500 chevs and fords can make over 600 hp, if you want to run a B or AB cut impeller. Spin the crap out of them. Now, about the insurance man-------
    Hey, thats right I do have that 455, if I remember right its a 1970 385 horse. That last one lived 18 years! Well the 454 is out and I took the boat to the shop and hotsy'd it. Now it's squeeky clean. It's time to start buying some parts. Are you going to be useing your engine stand any time soon? hint hint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast