Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for starters...

Fired Up
    Looking through the performance catalogs and I've narrowed down some choices for a starter on my BBC (168/flex). TCI, CVR, Powermaster. Some draw big amps (200+) at a 3.7:1 gear reduction. Others at 4.4:1 with a low amp (90) draw. My motor has 10:1 compression. Not big, but enough that using a stock starter concerns me. Any recommendations? Thanks

Boater Bill
    Spend the money if you want but IMO the stock starter is fine assuming its in good cond. Always make sure your battery is fully charged and your charging system is working good and you should be good to go.

superdave013
    Ron Cook @ RB Performance in Parker, AZ makes the best of the mini hi torque starters I think. His have all ball bearing, not bushings. And if you ever need it worked on while on a river trip he will hook you up.
    He will be at the Long Beach swapmeet this sunday too.

Thunderbutt
    Fired up, I've had a stock starter on my motor for 31 years. I use to have 13 to 1 now have 11.5 to 1 compresson. New Solenoid and spring once in a while. Rebuild 2- tims Originally posted by Fired Up:
    Looking through the performance catalogs and I've narrowed down some choices for a starter on my BBC (168/flex). TCI, CVR, Powermaster. Some draw big amps (200+) at a 3.7:1 gear reduction. Others at 4.4:1 with a low amp (90) draw. My motor has 10:1 compression. Not big, but enough that using a stock starter concerns me. Any recommendations? Thanks

shirkey4750
    I use the mini-torque starter off of the 99 and newer Chevrolets on my 454 hydro 10 to 1 . Works great and I picked it up off of e-bay for $ 50.
    [This message has been edited by shirkey4750 (edited April 10, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by shirkey4750 (edited April 10, 2002).]

Fired Up
    Thanks for all your replies. In doing some more reading I also found the GM hi-torque, light weight starter. NAPA carries this starter. Its a little more pricey ($111 with core exch.), but it comes with a 6 year replacement warranty. I don't think Jegs, Summit......can match a warranty like that.I have the part number if anyone is interested.

bobz
    make sure they use the same number of teeth on the flywheel. GM made 2 or 3 different ones.

VitaminSea
    Fired up, I am running 10:1 for over five years and have had no problems with the stock starter. Although I always start the boat with both batteries turned on. Cliff

Thunderbutt
    Fired up, don't tell them it is going in a boat. Originally posted by Fired Up:
    Thanks for all your replies. In doing some more reading I also found the GM hi-torque, light weight starter. NAPA carries this starter. Its a little more pricey ($111 with core exch.), but it comes with a 6 year replacement warranty. I don't think Jegs, Summit......can match a warranty like that.I have the part number if anyone is interested.

SPECTRABRENT
    I would go with the R&B Starter. I have never had any problems with mine.
    Brent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast