Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: welders

Partycattin
    Anyone have one of the mig welders from Harbor freight?
    I'm looking to pickup a lower end welder to do some minor mods on a trailer I have and some misc stuff around the homestead. Not looking to weld anything more that 1/4 inch thick.
    Was thinking of buying one of the units that runs on standard electric in the garage and add the gas kit.
    Any thoughts?

riverroyal
    I would be affraid of replacement parts,buy one from lowes or homedump.Miller or lincoln

Baja Big Dog
    1/4 inch, on a trailer....either find a used 180 amp Miller or if you have to a Linclon, unless your welding on those naked lady chrommie things like the truckers have.
    Run gas...
    Or mbring it over and Ill weld it for you, or Ill have Baja Mike weld it, but you will have to buy some grinding disc's.......

Ziggy
    I got one of them wirefeed welders(fluxcore), forget the brand right now but I do believe it was purchased at the Depot(its all blue). Have had it several years now without any issues and have run numerous rolls of wire thru it. It penetrates deep enough to make a good solid weld. I've built two flatbed trailers with it and am restructuring a sandrail currently.
    For less than $170 bucks I think its been a bargain.
    Listen to what RR says though, thats his gig.

riverroyal
    if you are are very good welder,you can make those machines work,if you are a novice garage guy,then good luck.They dont get very hot,the weld may look ok,but it will be very weak

SummitKarl
    Home Depot... get the lincoln weld-pak, that way you can get the optional MIG kit and many other ACC's, and they will hold a 10lb spool, you get a good brand name and service if you need it....I think they are in the $250 range
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com/g...g/00004176.jpg
    datasheet (http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=42420)

Ziggy
    Harbor Freight has a cool skeleton mask on sale right now :skull:

Partycattin
    I would be affraid of replacement parts,buy one from lowes or homedump.Miller or lincoln
    They sell Chicago Electric.

Kindsvater Flat
    stay away from the harbor freight one. Look into a miller or lincoln but also stay away from anything with plastic drive gears.
    The little miller 180 on the right is a killer mig and it was less than 1500 with bottle.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscfarm/welders.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast