Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need GM Tech Advice 8.1 chevy

565edge
    I need some help!!!!
    I have a 2002 crew cab 2wd hd with a allison and a 8.1 motor.I have exhaust,volant air box and a westers garage computer.This truck keeps shutting off going down the highway and will turn back on before I can pull over.Sometimes it just shuts off.When it does my battery light will come on?Then it will take a few minutes of me cycling it off and on before it will start again(actually kicks over but wont run).Sometimes when I go out to the truck to start it it will turn over but will not fire?Is this a common problem. I thought it was the computer.I called Westers and they said no.But he did say if I thought it was he would replace the computer.I actually still have my stock computer and installed it and it still does the same thing. It did it 4 times today.I afraid one day its not going to start.I need help....A friend had a similar problem and his was the fuel pump?

Daytona100
    I need some help!!!!
    I have a 2002 crew cab 2wd hd with a allison and a 8.1 motor.I have exhaust,volant air box and a westers garage computer.This truck keeps shutting off going down the highway and will turn back on before I can pull over.Sometimes it just shuts off.When it does my battery light will come on?Then it will take a few minutes of me cycling it off and on before it will start again(actually kicks over but wont run).Sometimes when I go out to the truck to start it it will turn over but will not fire?Is this a common problem. I thought it was the computer.I called Westers and they said no.But he did say if I thought it was he would replace the computer.I actually still have my stock computer and installed it and it still does the same thing. It did it 4 times today.I afraid one day its not going to start.I need help....A friend had a similar problem and his was the fuel pump?
    I had the same problem with my 8.1 it ended up being the crank sensor. Pretty common.

MikeF
    It's probably just tired of pulling a boat w/a ferd in it.:crossx:

Kachina26
    Get a code check at Autozone, you probably have a crank sensor code. If you do not have a crank code, this is one of those rare times that I would actually recommend trying it anyway. Very common on the 8.1.

BAE_557
    I recently had the same problem with my 8.1 and it turned out to be the fuel pump, luckily it was still under warranty.

CampbellCarl
    Did my fuel pump approx 6 months ago, problem (crank no start) came back, this time was cam sensor. Pretty cheap, around $65.00 and took about a 6 pack to install.
    Carl

24sleekenforcer
    Like K26 stated most common problem is the crank shaft sensor , it is behind left head area.

BowTie Rick
    It's the Volant, should have got a K&N Actually, same EXACT thing happened to my buddies. It was the ignition switch. It would vibrate back just enough to turn itself off and being worn, it would not always fire back up.

565edge
    So fuel pump,ignition switch or crank sensor. Where exactly is the crank sensor located? I used to carry a cam sensor around for my powerstroke.Sound like I might need to carry a extra crank sensor for this.LOL...So will it show a code for the ignition switch or the fuel pump?

Trailer Park Casanova
    On the 8.1, the crank sensor is located behind the left (drivers side) cylinder head, and in front of the transmission bellhousing. It has a 4 wire connector coming from it, and cannot be accurately tested w/ an ohm meter. You'll get a false reading. The only accurate method is w/ a Tech-2 scanner.
    If removing it, one must be very careful not to break it, or the oil pan and other internal components would have to be removed.
    If you have furthur technical questions contact
    Dunefreak (Pete) at:
    www.dumontduneriders.com
    Pete is an active GM tech, and very helpful and very good, and a good guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast