Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie help

sausage450r
    I just bought my first jet boat. its a '74 Hallet with 455 olds, and jacuzzi pump. What can i do to it to get more performance? It has an edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock carb, pump recently rebuilt, with a place diverter. No points distributer. I've been told if i tear into the 455 im just asking for a grenade. How much difference will i see with a basically stock 454 or 460 with same intake carb type setup? I believe the pump is the wj model, is there an uprade i should get for that? Any help would be nice

Elimin8Jet71
    The 455 can be a problem if you leave the RPM's hanging up around 5k for too long....Unless the motor has been gone through with oil restrictors in the mains and what not, it will starve for oil since the oil can't get back to the oil pan fast enough. The oil will get stuck up in the heads. So if the throttle is not at the WFO setting all the time, you will be alright...

Elimin8Jet71
    455's are torque monters.....if you want to compare it to a 454. The Chevy will have more top end horse power but less low end torque because of the better flowing heads and a 1/4 inch shorter stroke than the olds. And of course with a chevy or Ford you don't have to worry about oil issues...

dumbandyoung
    If it runs good sell it and buy a 460 ford! or a chevy

atxwrangler
    If it runs good sell it and buy a 460 ford! or a chevy
    i second that!check into an energizer kit for the pump!

sidewound
    If you just bought it enjoy it for a year.
    Then you'll be able to decide what you want in the future.
    My lead sled has a 455 and will run consistantly in the mid 60's for fairly long periods of time with only minor mods.
    The original 455 that I rebuilt had been running in the boat for over 30 yrs. so don't take too much of the anti olds rhetoric to heart.
    Chevy's or fords are cheaper to build and easier to find parts for.
    Just remember you'll need new intake,exhaust,engine mounts and possibly some driveline parts with a changeover. KACHING!
    Welcome to jet boating
    Peace man!
    CESAR

psdperformance
    Hey nothing wrong with a 455 olds my father inlaw ran his (now mine) for over 20 yrs no problems. I rebuilt it just for fun. If you do rebuild the motor just install a couple of little mods to restrict the oil from pumping it all into the heads. Get a 10 qt oil pan,a set of oil restricters,arp rod bolts,roller rockers,new cam,intake maniflod,forged pistons and have fun! It'll run for another 20+ years!
    Later chris

sausage450r
    to be fair to the boat. I got it in trade for a motorcycle. the motor fires off the second i hit the starter. it idles just a little rough, but it runs great throughout the powerband. it doesnt die comming back down to idle or when idling for extended periods of time. I like the idea of the 10 quart pan. I will have to look at the motor mounts and see if they will allow for it. I dont think the motor has ever been rebuilt (which would make it 33 years old). I took it to el cap reservoir and ran it, wasnt very impressive as far as speed. it goes well, but doesnt get there in a hurry (probably a tired motor). 45-50mph is my estimate for top speed. My boss is pretty big into boat racing (he used to hold the IHBA speed record in a top fuel dragster). He says if it runs i shouldn't bother rebuilding it. my big question is. should i freshen up this motor? or just swap it out with the 460 or 454? will those motors with just the same mods (intake, carb, heads) make much of a difference? My thoughts are pull the motor, go through it (pistons, valves, etc. no major machine work). and maybe it will wake it up a bit.

sausage450r
    i second that!check into an energizer kit for the pump!
    whats the energizer kit?? get it from rex marine? it has a new wear ring and impeller was just sharpened

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Get a handheld gps and verify speed. Then go from there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast