Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: chew on this.

1000 hp NA, wow, that should be unreal. Tunnel ram or single carb? Not pump gas for sure. What kind of heads?
    oh yeah ... pump gas (87 octane) and a single 350cfm 2 barrel electric choke carb! he's going for the unheard of! oh yeah ... the heads ... he's making an adapter plate to run SBC double hump heads ... I heard they were the sh*t!
    j/k

maxwedge
    I look at it like this. Brodix cashed my check two months ago so that money is long gone. The block showed up today and all i did was sign for it so yeah, its sort of like getting it for free.
    Using this same logic, if I give you 20 bucks for it, it will seem like you made a nice profit, right? So do you want Paypal, or can I just send a check?

Taylorman
    oh yeah ... pump gas (87 octane) and a single 350cfm 2 barrel electric choke carb! he's going for the unheard of! oh yeah ... the heads ... he's making an adapter plate to run SBC double hump heads ... I heard they were the sh*t!
    Busby, check your pm.

Using this same logic, if I give you 20 bucks for it, it will seem like you made a nice profit, right? So do you want Paypal, or can I just send a check?
    now that's funny!

steelcomp
    Steelcomp,
    I read your posts, and I respect your opinions. I have heard the statement before and I never gave it a second thought.
    What is the reason?
    Is it due to the rapid heat conductivity of aluminum? Or something else?
    Wouldn't aluminum heads have the same problem?
    Brian
    One word....rigidity. Aluminum blocks aren't nearly as rigid as iron blocks, and therefore don't hold their shape. Rings don't seal as well, heads don't seal as well, cylinders don't stay round, blocks grow and flex, etc. To illlustrate, look at an NHRA pro stock block. Not only are they cast iron, but they're way thicker and heavier than even something like Bowtie or Merlin block, which are pretty damn stout. I was at Dart when we dynoed the very first Rocket small block, and the engine was built to indentical specs as another small block, just to be able to determine the difference a block can make. On a 400 ci. motor, in the 500 hp range, I think the difference was near 40 hp. This was attributed soley to the block being stronger, and holding it's shape better.
    Yes, aluminum heads have the same problem, and will typically not make as much hp as a comparable iron head. The thinking is more on thermal losses in the chamber, but I believe that the rigidity and dimensional changes also plays a part.

Taylorman
    One word....rigidity. Aluminum blocks aren't nearly as rigid as iron blocks, and therefore don't hold their shape. Rings don't seal as well, heads don't seal as well, cylinders don't stay round, blocks grow and flex, etc. To illlustrate, look at an NHRA pro stock block. Not only are they cast iron, but they're way thicker and heavier than even something like Bowtie or Merlin block, which are pretty damn stout. I was at Dart when we dynoed the very first Rocket small block, and the engine was built to indentical specs as another small block, just to be able to determine the difference a block can make. On a 400 ci. motor, in the 500 hp range, I think the difference was near 40 hp. This was attributed soley to the block being stronger, and holding it's shape better.
    Yes, aluminum heads have the same problem, and will typically not make as much hp as a comparable iron head. The thinking is more on thermal losses in the chamber, but I believe that the rigidity and dimensional changes also plays a part.
    Not to disagree with you cause i don't know crap but there was an article in a recent car magazine. I can't remember which one. They tested iron vs alum heads with all the same specs to see if they made any difference in power. No difference was noted between the same spec alum or iron heads. Same power from both.

WUTWZAT
    the goal is to save a couple hundred pounds of weight and to make the same power as my old blower motor.
    See Mike if you were FAT like the rest of us you could just go on a diet and to drop that weight and keep the blower motor. Ha, you know I got nuthin but love for ya.
    Its been too long, whens the next river trip or are you just going to be racing your boat at the track now?
    Jason

cyclone
    See Mike if you were FAT like the rest of us you could just go on a diet and to drop that weight and keep the blower motor. Ha, you know I got nuthin but love for ya.
    Its been too long, whens the next river trip or are you just going to be racing your boat at the track now?
    Jason
    Hey jason how you doin? I think there's at least 10 lbs of budlight somewhere in me that i could stand to lose. 1st river trip will be sometime in May at BR.

victorfb
    obviously its a guessing game of what mike has up his sleeve. remember he DID sell the old blower, so maybe a new BIGGER blower? alcohol injection? then again, maybe he is looking to keep it a river runner and go twin turbo... naaawwwww.
    as for the aluminum vs iron dealio, physics play a roll here. of course there would be no change in comparison of HP with all specs being equall. the reason many go with aluminum heads is the fact that chamber sizes and shapes differ, runner volumes and sizes differ, ect, ect... plus when your trying to run pump gas on over 10.5-1 comp, the aluminums give you the added security of detonation. but dont discount iron heads, they make great power aswell. but they are limited.

cyclone
    Hey vic how are you and Toni doin?
    There's no big guessing game. The new motor will be medium sized, naturally aspirated with 1 carburetor. I was just excited my engine block finally arrived.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast