Thread: JL Audio Amp Gurus Needed- Tuning?

davis777
    I need some help tuning my newly intsalled JL Audio system. I am a detailed installer, just not good at setting all the amps controls.
    Here is the set up:
    450/4 running two sets of JL Audio Marine conponent seperates- Front and Rear- They sound killer
    Out of the 450/4 pre amp output I have connected a 300/2 running another set of JL Audio Marine component seperates- They sound OK, not great??
    Out of the Clarion CMD4 sub outputs I have a 500/1 and a W612- Perfect
    Here is the question- I just added the 300/2 and another set of seperates, I know that amp has plenty of power for those seperates, yet they dont seem to perform or have the clarity that the two sets running off the 450/4 have.
    Any Ideas as to why the new 300/2 connected to the 450/4 doesnt pound?
    Thanks,
    R

jbone
    Since none else answered. I'm no JL guru, but I have JL amps myself. Mine all get a direct signal from the RCA's off the deck, so I don't know how using the preamp outputs affect anything.
    Did you run sufficient power and ground cables to the new amp?
    The settings should be the same at the the other amp, except maybe the gains.
    Also speaker location and type of space behind the speaker can affect sound quality.
    J

Jesster
    Check the gains and make sure they are up high enough. If they are use one of the preouts from the head unit directly to the amp to see if if makes a difference if it does you know where the problem is. If it doesnt make a difference its probably the amp, could be the speakers though. Have you heard the speakers connected to anything else, did they sound ok? Since they are seperates they have a crossover somewhere, is it hooked up right, sometimes its easy for them to be connected wrong. I havent used JL seperates before so am not familiar with the crossovers. Hope that helps.

ROZ
    Things to check:
    Make sure the preout switch on the 4504 is on the ch1/ch2 setting(remember that the front is 150x2 ). This way the 3002(150x2) signal is the same as the front channels as the 4504. This will mean that your fade/bal will be the same as well... If this amp is to be run in conjunction with your 3ch/4ch 75x speaker pair and care about fading to the rear, select the 3/4 channel setting. If you don't care and don't need any other function but getting a signal to the amp, ALL will sum the signal from both front and rear inputs on the 4504.
    Correctly set the gain on the 3002
    set the xover points on the 3002 same as the 4504.. since you're trying to achieve the same type of output.
    match the crossover db's on all of your speakers. they are -3db / 0db / +3db
    remember that speaker location may come in to play. If the speakers are a little buried in a panel or the like, you can increase the crossover db setting...
    Sure , you could have a voltage issue, but the amp will indicate it with a warning light. I'd check the other stuff first....
    Adios amigo...

davis777
    Thanks for all of the input- I do appreciate it.
    I got it figured out, I set the output switch to 1&2 and the input sensor on the 300/2 was set way too low, you really seem to have to jack it up to 3/4 or so to get the needed output.
    I am amazed at speaker location, it is true, the new JL Cockpit seperates are working just fine and pumping good volumes to spec. ect, it is just they are not in prime real estate like my other two sets, it makes a huge difference.
    Overall the system rocks to specs., just after an install you want to make sure its right, since these toys are not cheap.
    Thanks again for the replies!
    Rock On---