Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? for hottrodder

Hottrodder,
    Came across a boat today, and seeings how you're the Mandella guy, I thought I run a few things by you.
    This thing looks, to me, like a Mandella, but I could be mistaken. Has the flaired sides, but has a flat transom. We've talked before about the curved transom on some of the other Mandella's and was wondering if they ALL had curved transoms or just some? This one also has the crossover piece on the deck between the seats. And at the dash, where the deck would meet it, it over hangs on this one(like a wood decker) and the dash is wood. Only the dash and not the deck.
    This sound like a Mandella to you?
    Slight V on the botom that disapears by the time it gets to the transom. Dual fins, but I think the forward one was added later, it's off center by about 1/2 inch.
    I couldn't see the whole v-drive but to my untrained eye, it looked to be either a top loader Casale or a Hall-Craft. Non adjustable plates. Running a FE motor, but its seized. It has a rusted out pair of Bassetts on it now but at one time, ran through the transom exhaust.
    I'm guessing early to mid 60's on the year of the hull as there is no paper work on it or the trailer. Someone years ago took out the side tanks, put cup holders were the gas fills should be and put in a big bow tank. I bet that baby doesn't porpoise now.
    This thing is a project and a half, the trailer is pretty rough too and I'm not sure if it's the project for me, but I think the price is gonna be dirt, dirt cheap. Couldn't get the guy to give me a price, he wanted me to make him an offer, but he want's it gone now. If I can get a price out of him, I'll post it here if anyone is interested.
    I was gonna' take some digi pics of it, but my friggin program or what ever the **** it is in my computer is not downloading the pics from the camera.
    ****ing hi-tech piece of shit........
    [This message has been edited by old rigger (edited March 15, 2002).]

pgf127rt
    Oldrigger as one antique to another I feel your pain about all of those hitek POS, that were designed to drive us old farts crazy.

hottrodder........you out there?

hottrodder
    OldRigger: Sorry, Sleeping at the wheel. I'm thinking not. All the 60's (late or early) Mandellas that I've ever seen have no overhang. And they're 100% glass. Now the true Mandella (Joe not Lou) was 100% wood and no glass. Lou plugged a late 50's wood Mandella and made molds for the glass 'Brummett' Mandells.
    Wait, wait, wait. I was looking over what I've already said when an image came to mind of a dilapidated Mandella I saw in Parker a few years back in a car port at a trailer park. If it had been sitting a year it had been there a hundred. Metallic orange with an inset wood dash. FoMoCo side oiler. We sorta just peaked under the deteriorating cover. Word was it had been there for many years and few people had tried to find and contact the owner but he wouldn't sell. Thought he had a gold mine on his hands I 'spose.
    Before Joe passed and Lou was just an employee he would glass over some of the wood boats. Bottoms and ocasionally the deck for strength. Maybe that's what this is. But it would have to be late 50's. I think Lou started the glass boats in '61. A picture would sure help. Look for the dip between the dash and center deck.
    http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats...bach01edit.jpg

Backfire
    I believe the boat you are describing is a Gaylord.Differences from a Mandella are the dash scheme you described, a flat transom, a raised caprail (Mandellas have the deck on top of the caprail),and 3/4" plywood glassed to the sides and bottom running up into the spreader deck. A Gaylord is much smaller and shallower than a Mandella and the edge where the hull and deck join is very slight and rolls over only about an inch, almost sharp by comparison and if you put CF numbers just below, they'd be nearly invisible because they'd be horizontal! If it's on it's original channel trailer,the trailer will have a wide "v" opening in the back and sharp "v's" cut out of the cross beams for the shaft and fins and only the two (outside) longitudinal rails. AzDon had one for nearly ten years and has it pictured under "AzDon's boats" on his website: v-driveboat.com

hottrodder
    Here's that pic of AZ Don's Gaylord. Although I'm posting it reluctantly 'cause when I went to his sight for the pic I learned that his first flatbottom, a '58 wood Mandella, was taken to the dump.
    http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats/misc/gaylord.jpg

thanks guys,
    I went back yesterday and really checked this boat out. It's at a dealer in Orange County way back in their yard. It was a donation and they want to sell it for any thing just to get rid of it. I was really intrested in the hull as well as the possibility of the FE being a 427. It's a 352. The boat is pictured on the boat trader web site under Hondo. It's blue on a white trailer. From their pic, you can't see the sides of the hull very at all, and that's what made me think it might be a Mandella. They don't have any idea what it is and only listed it as a Hondo to move it. Salesman said he would take way under a grand to get rid of it. I was gonna offer him 2 hundred, and I think they would take it.
    I'm gonna pass on it, and if I knew how to post the link to the pictures, there are 2 of them, I would so you could take a look at it.
    Oh yeah, can you believe AZDON took that hull to the dump? When I was a kid, at Parker out at the old dump past Cieniga Springs, we saw a guy pull a split window VW out there that he couldn't get to run and pushed it into the pit. What a waste! Course we promptly shot it full of holes with our .22's. What the hell did we know? It was only a few years later did we realize what the car was worth.

Stab-n-Steer
    HR,
    I really don't have a clue but that never stopped be from opening my mouth in the past... I'll venture a guess. Stevens? Wickens? Hell, I have no idea...
    S&S
    [This message has been edited by Stab-n-Steer (edited March 21, 2002).]

future boater
    rayson craft,early to late 60's? just a guess from a youngster

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast