Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Pressure

LUVNLIFE
    What should the normal water pressure reading be on the gauge? My pickup is a through hull because I have an XR drive. Does anyone have any fluctuation while under way? What is the range? Thanks

spectras only
    At idle , 1 pound of pressure is fine , at 3000 rpm it should be around 10 , and ca 20 pound at WOT .
    PS; I have the Smart Craft system on my engines , and mechanical gauges to back up everything. Reading water pressure on all 4 gauges are consistent . No sea strainer , just thermostat .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_8253.jpg

BDMar
    You have a thru hull pickup probably because of a high X-dimension, as XR drives do have water pickups. With a thru hull on a cat you will see pressure fluctuation because the pickup will get water spikes from waves, wakes, rollers, etc. You didn't say if you have a thermostat system or not, sea strainer, inner cooler, etc. 30 to 40 psi at WOT is not uncommon.

LUVNLIFE
    No thermostat, sea strainer yes, no intercooler.Isn't 30 or 40 high?:jawdrop: I see a max of maybe 12 and a low of maybe 8 with the temp not an issue. Thanks

FORCEINU
    30 to 40 psi at full bore it's pretty normal in my set up I run between 30/35 psi :devil:

BDMar
    No thermostat, sea strainer yes, no intercooler.Isn't 30 or 40 high?:jawdrop: I see a max of maybe 12 and a low of maybe 8 with the temp not an issue. Thanks
    With no thermostat the pressure will be lower. 12 is pretty low.... we usually see 20 to 25 without a thermostat / recirculating water pump system.
    Check the fitting on the block where the water pressure is taken from. It is very common for them to get plugged with debris / corrosion and will read low. Worn out impeller will also lower psi readings.

LUVNLIFE
    With no thermostat the pressure will be lower. 12 is pretty low.... we usually see 20 to 25 without a thermostat / recirculating water pump system.
    Check the fitting on the block where the water pressure is taken from. It is very common for them to get plugged with debris / corrosion and will read low. Worn out impeller will also lower psi readings.
    They are all new parts so I don't think corrosion and it is a new impeller. Although I will check for debris. Shouldn't the sea strainer take care of that though. Also my range is about 6 to 12, but It does not get hot. Thanks, Cale

BDMar
    They are all new parts so I don't think corrosion and it is a new impeller. Although I will check for debris. Shouldn't the sea strainer take care of that though. Also my range is about 6 to 12, but It does not get hot. Thanks, Cale
    Hard water deposits will plug the fitting and also sand from places like the sandbar or the Gorge, neither of which will be caught in the strainer.

spectras only
    Location for water pressure fitting . There is a plug next [ white square] to the blue water drain where I got the Pisco tubing attached for the mechanical gauges .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_1471.JPG

don johnson
    Water pressure over 25-30 psi can push intake gaskets.... I installed pop off valves in my system as I was seeing upwards of 40 psi and was worried that I would push an intake manifold gasket....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast