Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/old 16' Marlin in Spokane?

RaysonKid
    Hey Circlejerk,
    I hear there is a Marlin 16' circle boat moving to Spokane.
    Do you know who bought it?
    Do they have plans of racing it?
    Good to see that the boat finally has a new home.

CircleJerk
    I think I know where it went, to a former circle racer named Dave. you should know more than I.......

stickmann
    Is that one of Don Whatmore's Marlin's?

biesemeyer34
    The new Spokane owner is the former owner/racer of the Marlin. Dave Weber brought back the complete boat from Port Angles last weekend. Dave and his brother and father raced the boat in the ERR class in the late 60's and early 70's . The former name was the E-Motion and was very competitive in region 10 with the 331c.i. chev . Dave and his son Levi are restoring the boat and may even attend some of the Nosty Races this summer. The boat was sold in 1978 and the new owners are happy to have it home again. Anymore information can be obtained from a former Competitor in Seattle named Al Lapointe who had a lot of races against this boat. Boat ran kilos at Devils Lake in Oregon at 106 108 range. Jimmy D.

RaysonKid
    Thanks for the info Jimmy D.
    Always like a story someone finding their old boat.
    CJ, I dont get up to Port Angeles much.

CircleJerk
    Is that one of Don Whatmore's Marlin's?
    How right you are Mr Stick, Don owned the famous 'K-Motion' and this was his little 'E-Motion' that I hear he never ran but spent a lot of time polishing the floor to a Turtle Wax shine. At the Spokane Auto Boat and Speed Show, this boat was turned on its side and always right inside the front doorw, someone up here might remember it if they didnt catch a boat race. I had the best talk with the new-old owner tonight to get the whole scoop.
    As some of you may have knowledge of Marlin Boats, this is not any way associated with them. These boats were all 16 footers made by Don Watmore and a mere 2 dozen were built with only a half dozen with any race history. Fred Mielke had one running Super Stock # SS32 as well as his brother Tom who ran E class. As far as I know this is the only one to surface and be reunited to its original owners family. Cool!
    With a 9% gear in its 12 degree box mounted at 7 degrees, Dave and Dan drove this little 329 cube chevy 8500 rrs at 112 mph! Motor genius was the incredible Mr. Fred Rogers who teamed with Earl Wham and the 'Miss Marion Bluegrass' 7 Liter record setter.
    Rayson Kid, we all blew it by not rescuing this boat sooner.......Welcome home #E39 'E-Motion' after setting in a storage lot for the past 9 years. You are home! For good!
    So tell us more Mr. Stick.......what bottom design is under it?

TRIMMIN
    Does anyone know if Biesemeyer ever built a 16/16.5 foot boat? Maybe around the early 70's. I've looked at most of the old pictures and adds and have never seen one.

stickmann
    True flats with moderate rocker and no strakes

stickmann
    Fred Mielke had one running Super Stock # SS32 as well as his brother Tom who ran E class. As far as I know this is the only one to surface and be reunited to its original owners family. Cool!
    Harrison Hot Springs, BC...'70's
    The water was very rough at the Western Divisionals. The race committee asked if there were any volunteers to go out to see if the course was raceable. All of the drivers came by the tower waving thumbs down except for Tom Mielke. Tom flew by the tower in his ERR, up on his left side, with the bottom completely visible. You could not see Tom at all, except for his arm visible above the side, waving a thumbs up. What courage, what fortitude; we all thought he was nuts, but those Marlin drivers were like that.

72 superlite
    Who all was in on this Port Angeles road trip? Dad couldn't remember names. He did remember a farmer. Jimmy D maybe? OK thats it the Sanger Hydros gone, the Marlins gone, you guys can just leave the rest of my inheritence alone.lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast