Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas needed for rear seat redesign...

STV_Keith
    One of the big failings of my boat (I believe) is ingress and egress. To get in or out from the rear landing areas requires basically stepping on the back seat. I am thinking of redesigning the rear seat, since I'm going to reupholster it, and don't want people walking all over it to get in and out of the boat.
    Here it is in it's current form:
    http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/p...s/DSCN5433.jpg
    What have you seen? What do you suggest? Pics?
    All ideas welcomed.

sidewound
    maybe wrap around seats like the front of deck boats only in the back and leave out the middle back,nice place for a cooler(aka step)
    That cooler looks like it could BE the back seat.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

STV_Keith
    Definitely not getting rid of it. I was thinking of maybe cutting it down to 3/4 or 2/3 width and put a step in on the stb side...or maybe make some part of the seat fold down with something on the back that wouldn't be affected by shoes, etc.

STV_Keith
    That cooler looks like it could BE the back seat.
    CESAR
    The cooler has a pad (which is why there are snaps on the lid) to make it a seat, but I'm still not giving up the space across the back.

the_gray_goose

STV_Keith
    Well, you can't see it in those pics, but there is an access hatch behind the rear seat. The rear seat slides forward for access to the fuel pumps, batts, batt switches, filters, etc. So it can't be permanent unless I redo the access as well.

Mandelon
    Definitely not getting rid of it. I was thinking of maybe cutting it down to 3/4 or 2/3 width and put a step in on the stb side...or maybe make some part of the seat fold down with something on the back that wouldn't be affected by shoes, etc.
    This sounds like the back of one those Magic deck boats....L shape with a step on one side....Make storage under the steps at least. Maybe hinged on top with a piston lifter and some type of clasp to keep it closed....I have built in coolers under my back seat cushions and rarely even bring a separate cooler.

coolchange
    How much time do people spend sitting in the seat compared to climbing in and out. Plus I like the bench for lounging . If it were me ( I build boat seats) I would make the bottom cushion in 2 or 3 pieces so you can stow the entry/exit side and re-install it for cocktail hour.

Mandelon
    Make three cushions for the back seat. On the entry third, make it reversible with carpet on the back so you can flip it either way when you want...

Havasu Hangin'
    I don't have any pics, but my armrests have non-skid on top of them, and there are two steps built in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast