Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best battery for serious power???

FilthyHaBIT
    Need new batteries for my boat system. I was using 2 Eaglepicher Horizon's but they got fried. They are next to impossible to get now for replacements so I need to find another source to power my system. Want the lightest batteries possible that can handle a large power demand.
    (4) 1000 watt Zapcos
    (4) 750 watt Zapcos
    (3) 250 watt Zapcos
    not very familiar with car audio or battery systems.....any help appreciated

h2oski2fast
    4-6 Oddysey 1700's. Also, which Zapco amps are you using?

FilthyHaBIT
    I think there Zapcos reference series amps......I'd love to be able to run the stereo longer that and hour without havin to turn on the boat. The guy who sold us the Horizon batteries said they couldn't be ruined and they loved to be charged with high amperage all night long so we charged them on 60 amp boost charged one night and the next mornin they had "excreted" all their battery poo allover my engine compartment. Duuuuhh wont do that again!

FilthyHaBIT
    4-6 Oddysey 1700's. Also, which Zapco amps are you using?
    I've looked at the specs for the oddysey and they don't seem to come close to the Horizon batteries .Any other alternative...what are the competition guys using????

STV_Keith
    How much room do you have for batts? Weight limit? Personally, I will be running 4 x Power Sonic PG-12v150's. They are big, 6.7w x 9.55h x 19.1l (about the size of a group 31, but 6 inches longer) and heavy at 105# each...but they also have bitchen specs. 12v, 330 minutes of reserve and rated for 166Ahr. Basically, about double of an Optima D31M blue top. Not too bad at $186 each.

Jesster
    How much room do you have for batts? Weight limit? Personally, I will be running 4 x Power Sonic PG-12v150's. They are big, 6.7w x 9.55h x 19.1l (about the size of a group 31, but 6 inches longer) and heavy at 105# each...but they also have bitchen specs. 12v, 330 minutes of reserve and rated for 166Ahr. Basically, about double of an Optima D31M blue top. Not too bad at $186 each.
    That's an impressive battery. Especially at that price. Is that price available to the gen public or do you know somebody? Only problem is, I doubt anybody makes a billet box for it but then again not everybody wants billet boxes.

FilthyHaBIT
    those batteries sound ample enough but their on the heavy size at 106# a piece. The Eaglepicher Horizon batts are 58#'s....Do you know how they compare spec wise. What are you running with those 4 Power batts?

STV_Keith
    I found them on a website... http://www.batteryweb.com/powersonic12vsla.cfm
    That price is on that site. You might be able to get them locally as well, pay tax but save shipping. The manufacturers' website is: http://www.power-sonic.com/index.php and they have a dealer locator on there somewhere.
    I was looking and it came up. I figure I'll build my own angle frame batt box/frames for them, since they are longer than standard. I had some battery trays glassed into my boat to accomodate these monsters. Weight wise, what's another 400# in a 6000# boat.
    My eventual plan is to run:
    2 x Hifonics Brutus Bxi-2000's for the subs (2000w x 1 @ 1ohm)
    1 (or maybe 2) Hifonics Zeus Zxi-6406 for the highs/mids (170w x 4 @ 2ohm)
    I also will have an inverter on the boat and have an A/C for the cabin, so the batts would run the A/C for around 6 hours without having to use a gene. I also plan to have a Gene, but we'll see how it goes.

FilthyHaBIT
    I found them on a website... http://www.batteryweb.com/powersonic12vsla.cfm
    That price is on that site. You might be able to get them locally as well, pay tax but save shipping. The manufacturers' website is: http://www.power-sonic.com/index.php and they have a dealer locator on there somewhere.
    I was looking and it came up. I figure I'll build my own angle frame batt box/frames for them, since they are longer than standard. I had some battery trays glassed into my boat to accomodate these monsters. Weight wise, what's another 400# in a 6000# boat.
    My eventual plan is to run:
    2 x Hifonics Brutus Bxi-2000's for the subs (2000w x 1 @ 1ohm)
    1 (or maybe 2) Hifonics Zeus Zxi-6406 for the highs/mids (170w x 4 @ 2ohm)
    I also will have an inverter on the boat and have an A/C for the cabin, so the batts would run the A/C for around 6 hours without having to use a gene. I also plan to have a Gene, but we'll see how it goes.
    I see your point about the #400 pounds but the sound system already weighs are boat down enough to were I lose a solid 10 mph. Its a 27 ft ultra cat boat. Big motor but not blazing speed. Try checking out those Horizen batteries...they apparently have like a 4 to 1 ratio for power ratio to other batteries. Wish I could find them for sale......anybody know where I can find some????

rrrr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast