Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: big roost, how to

4604me
    awhile back I read a post about cutting a placediverter on a jc pump to make a bigger roostertail. I did a search but couldn't find it. can anyone give me some insite to this. like do's and dont's, how much to cut, pic's, ect ect thanks Steve.

OverKill
    Do you have a split bowl?? I ask this because if you do, you can add a droop with some wedging with a hydraulic diverter to get a bigger Roost. Tell me what your setup is and I can help you.

4604me
    that's the thing it's a JC no split bowl, I did see a pic,where someone did cut or used a grinder on the .top part of the placediverter but cant find that pic anywhere.

Jetaholic
    that's the thing it's a JC no split bowl, I did see a pic,where someone did cut or used a grinder on the .top part of the placediverter but cant find that pic anywhere.
    You grind metal off of the steering bracket where the diverter bracket contacts it so that the diverter bracket can travel towards it more.
    But be careful...if you take out too much you'll blow out nozzle rings left and right.
    Here's a pic of mine. You can see where the steering bracket (the one on the far right of the pic) has been cut on the backside to allow more up travel of the diverter.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1172123275

OverKill
    Sure you can do it like Jetoholic did, How ever if it were up to me I would go about it two other ways. First I would consider putting on a new split bowl. If that was'nt going to work for me I would take the bowl I had and ask an experienced boat shop to cut the bowl putting in the eight taps and call it a split bowl. I would'nt cut into the Place Diverter do to the fact it is designed the way it is for a reason. Besides the fact if you decide to make your bowl a split, you can do so many more things later down the road ( Droop, wedge, and ride plate). Give it some thought before you start hacking.

Devilman
    awhile back I read a post about cutting a placediverter on a jc pump to make a bigger roostertail. I did a search but couldn't find it. can anyone give me some insite to this. like do's and dont's, how much to cut, pic's, ect ect thanks Steve.
    It may have been mine, I had posted some pics of it awhile back.
    First off, I didn't do the grinding, one of the previous owners did it. Also, as it was mentioned, if you grind too much, that nozzle O-ring will be blowing out of there constantly. Mine is borderline. :sqeyes:
    These two pics show the area that has been ground away....
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/nozzle2.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/nozzle1.jpg
    I don't think the steering bracket has been ground, I honestly never paid attention to it. I will now though.
    These two pics show how much more up-angle the nozzle has, the diverter was one notch from the top in these pics, it won't stay in the top position on its own. However, you can also see how much of a bind it puts on the reverse cable with it tilted up that far...:jawdrop:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...iverterup2.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...iverterup3.jpg

Devilman
    Sure you can do it like Jetoholic did, How ever if it were up to me I would go about it two other ways. First I would consider putting on a new split bowl. If that was'nt going to work for me I would take the bowl I had and ask an experienced boat shop to cut the bowl putting in the eight taps and call it a split bowl. I would'nt cut into the Place Diverter do to the fact it is designed the way it is for a reason. Besides the fact if you decide to make your bowl a split, you can do so many more things later down the road ( Droop, wedge, and ride plate). Give it some thought before you start hacking.
    I also agree with this, if mine wasn't ground already, I'm not sure if I would have done it or not. Sure would hate to think of messing around with a perfectly good diverter & then ruin it with an experiment, LOL...
    The thing is, there is a groove in there, where that teflon O-ring sits. I would bet, that most people's first thought is, "As long as I don't grind into that groove, I'm okay." That's not entirely true. By grinding away the top, you allow the nozzle to travel farther than it was meant to, which is fine for a tall rooster, but in doing that, you jeopardize the sealing surface on the bottom side of the nozzle, leaving it vulnerable to blowing out the O-ring from underneath. Something to think about.....

Wet Dream
    Look at the horrible kink in the red cable (reverse bucket). How tight is that to operate?

Devilman
    Look at the horrible kink in the red cable (reverse bucket). How tight is that to operate?
    LOL, the reverse bucket functions smoothly, with the diverter in a normal position anyway. Never tried using reverse with the nozzle up. I had to replace that cable last August & I'm positive that bad kink was the culprit.
    Also, I been looking at some other pictures & I'm not sure what its called, (tiller arm maybe?) looks like its had a big chunk of it cut off. The piece that the steering cable connects to is what I'm talking about. Man, somebody butchered that thing pretty bad...

IMPATIENT 1
    take off the nozzle when ya attempt this mod, don't even try it with it still on the divertor. go to the center area and mark off a 1/4 inch in the center,from the edge. let that be your reference for grinding, don't grind any further than the mark and it'll be ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast