Thread: Building a Flat!

Blazerjet
    Well guys this is my first post here in the V-Drive world. I just got a 73 Hondo Flat that needs a complete resto. Couple questions if you dont mind. First of all is this boat worth building? Hull is in great shape only needs paint. I plan on building a 406 Small block on NOS for the first Motor prob 500 HP on the Motor and 625 on te NOS what can i expect out of this boat with that kind of power? Where do you think i should start on gears and Prop it has a 11.5 15 2 Blade with it but no gears thanks in advance for the help.

scottys
    The first thing you need would be a new log on name

Kurtis500
    Hey! I have a 73 Hondo and it is an awesome boat. I have used it for my lake boat for the past 10 years. Skiing, tubing, kneeboarding and even raced it at Firebird. Great boat! Heavy for racing, but solid and sturdy. I find some pics of it somewhere to post for you.

Ian
    My first boat was a 71 Hondo, drove nice, very predictable. I have to wonder why you are choosing to build a small block over a big block though. Anyways with a small block you will probably want low gears so you can wind her up tight, maybe 12% over. The two blade you have is probably a stellings, some guys still use them, but most are now running 11x16 menkins. How it will perform depends on how well it is set up, and how much power you are making. With a good bottom, 500-600 hps, and a perfect set-up you will probably be around 100mph, but don't expect that in the beginning. If all out speed is your quest, I would build a runner bottom

76biesmeyer
    That is a good boat to build!!! why not a big block!!! Good luck and have fun.

Blazerjet
    Thanks for the replys guys. And i knew i should have answered this question in the first Post. I am building a small block because i am only looking for approx 500 HP and that will be easy with a 406 plus the weight savings will make up for my fat ass driving haha. the only answer is i am a small block guy!

DUCKY
    I fully understand being a small block guy, but unless you already have all the stuff to build the motor laying around, and all the marine stuff (mounts, exhaust, oil pan, etc.....) I would go Big Block.

DetroitJim
    Hey BlazerFLAT:
    I started with a small block in my Sanger and it was a good setup. The lighter weight made a big difference in turning and with a 1.09 gear it was damned quick. I think a small block setup has some good points, mainly you can idle through no wake zones slower with a small gear and rev up higher on the top end. I switched to a big block for drag racing so I have an oil pan and a glenwood front mount for you if you need it. I already got rid of the front cover and headers. SBC v-drive headers are very hard to find used and about $750 new so keep that in mind.
    DJ