Thread: flex plate vs flywheel

billet racing 1
    Switching to a top mount starter. Requires me to switch to a fly wheel also. This is in a jet boat. May cause me to move the engine foreward 1/2" also.
    Would use an aluminum fly wheel, with the ring gear moved to the outside.
    Pros/cons
    Jerry

billet racing 1
    Nobody has an opinion on this?
    Jerry

supersoaker509
    I switched from a standard starter to a top mount starter with a flex plate with no problem, motor stayed the same.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I've been running a top-mount starter with a flexplate since 1978, not a single problem.
    WHY is the starter location forcing you to change plates? It shouldn't.

G-Body
    My dads Taylor SS has a 454 with a topmount starter and a flexplate. We haven`t had any problems yet.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Nobody has an opinion on this?
    Jerry
    As far as pros/cons:
    Pro: MIGHT smooth out engine idle a tad.
    Reduces RPM jump if you get airborne before pedaling the throttle.
    Con: increases time for the engine to spool up when you stomp it.
    SHOULD deserve a rebalance but you might get away without it.

DelawareDave
    Since I am an uninformed boater, take this with a grain of salt! Back when I had a Chevy engine with a top mount starter, the ring gear was moved towards rear face of the flywheel, whereas it was originally on the front edge, with a block mounted starter. I can see where you may have to move the engine forward, to make up the difference in thickness of the flywheel, vs the flexplate, to maintain some clearance at the input of the pump. One of my spare engines has a 1/4" spacer between the flexplate and the PTO to make up the difference of the flywheel thickness vs flexplate thickness. Changing to a flywheel would not require relocating the engine, in my case.
    Edit: Thinking back, difficult as that is, the reason for the ring gear being moved, may have been necessary due to the brand of flywheel housing. You should verify proper starter/ring gear tooth engagement at assembly.

billet racing 1
    thanks for the opinions. Also spoke with 058, syas he would recommend using a fly wheel anyway.
    The reason for switching from flex plate to fly wheel in the ring gear location. Needs be moved back. On the SFI approved flex plates, did not find one with the proper setting. also we are swithcing to a Ford style starter. May have something to do with it.
    Jerry

thanks for the opinions. Also spoke with 058, syas he would recommend using a fly wheel anyway.
    The reason for switching from flex plate to fly wheel in the ring gear location. Needs be moved back. On the SFI approved flex plates, did not find one with the proper setting. also we are swithcing to a Ford style starter. May have something to do with it.
    JerryJerry, I forgot to tell you last nite that my SFI approved plate has a one-off ring gear. It has tabs welded to it and is bolted to the plate. I think a better solution for you is to get a real flywheel [automotive type] with the press-on ring gear since you need to move the ring gear to the rear of the wheel anyway. I run an Schiefer automotive aluminum wheel on my Howard I bought at a swap meet years ago, the seller thought it was junk since the clutch plate surface was trashed and unusable for a clutch. He couldn't figure out why I wanted it and sold it to me for $5.00.....what a deal!