Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ford msd marine dist

:idea: :idea: So correct me if I'm wrong here. If I run an RTR dist. (MSD 83506) with a 6M box and the box happens to take a dive I could still bypass the box and get home? If so could I actually make a pigtail that is connected at the engine end and let it hand loose (mabey capped) so that I could just unplug the dist from the box, plug into my pigtail and be on my way? Not that I don't trust the 6M box but it looks as though at least a couple of them have gone south (and I HATE paddeling). I don't seem to see as many distributor problems as box problems.
    Sorry I mis-interpreted your earlier post and didn't realize the dist you have is a RTR. The RTR distributor is a stand alone distrubutor OR can be used with and MSD box... see figure 13 (http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8350_...4_frm23728.pdf) (pdf file). I've never had the question but assume that if the box failed and not the module inside the dist, the box could be unhooked and you go on your way. That would be an interesting one to ask on the MSD website tech forum.

Konabud
    I looked it over and I think that you could cut the four wires comming out of the box and run them into a 4 pin weatherpac connector. Then if the box went south you could unplug that connector, plug in a jumpered connector to hook it up in a no box cofiguration and be on your way. I know it seems like a lot of work and why even mess with the box on a lake boat but I want it because I think it would help keep the motor from loading up for extended periods of ideling.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/3112MSD1.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/3112MSD.JPG

Konabud
    I just got off the phone with MSD. I had some questions about how you would plug this (marine) distributor into a (marine) MSD 6M-2 box as the wiring diagrams (mag dist hookup) for the 6M-2 don't jive with the wiring diagrams for the dizzy. THE ANSWER IS .......
    You don't :2purples: (silly me I thought with everything saying marine on it that they should plug together... NOT!!!). You splice this particular distributor into the 6M wiring harness as is is not reconized as a mag pickup dist. It is an electronic (RTR) distributor which evidently has the same type output as a points dist but also needs to be plugged into power. FYI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12