Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intake Leak Problem

tittyman
    Have a 455 Olds..end of last year replaced the intake manifold gaskets..good kind not the turkey platter..manifold was leaking at both ends..got that to stop but it now leaks around the heads. Used gasket cinch on the head side and the manifold side. Going to redo now. Should I use the cinch on the head side and some RTV beads around the manifold or what..this is an almn. tunnel. Also bought the splash guard from Mondello that mounts down in the valley..good idea or bad..thanks..

IMPATIENT 1
    your not using the pan style intake gasket are you? sounds like you need some felpro's and using some ford or gm assembly adhesive on the lips.i used to build dirt track claimer motors and i'd only put 6 bolts in the oil pan, use the assemblly adhesive and they never leaked, well we always got claimed before they did anyways

twowheeledfish
    I've also had good luck with felpro gaskets... I use the Mopar sealant though.

tittyman
    The ones I put in were fel pro..the kind where you have the 2 head gaskets and the front and rear pieces seperate..not the old style turkey platter one piece crap..

Give some thought to useing a hammer&small punch to "dot peen":::::::::the block and bottom of intake valley end seal surfaces ,toss the rubber and cork end seals ,make everything squeaky clean (brakekleen spray) and use the sealer instead like the folks here said.We use Permatex "rightstuff" this stuff liiterally turns to rubber (probably the same basic as the mopar,gms or toyota?) Best stuff since beer in cans. Also give that Olds as much crankcase breather area as you can (reduce the crankcase pressure),we like the big KNs even a pcv system helps some times. PM me i'll be happpy to explain more Good Luck Tom
    BTW Mondellos old catalogue used to say that valley tray was worth like 5 hp ,hmmmm?? Ive got a couple on the wall.

tittyman
    The ends don't leak at all now..that was the original problem..the leak now is between the top of the heads and the intake manifold..used silicon on the ends and just gasket cinch on the heads..I'm think the manifold has been on and off who knows how many times..should I just silicon the crap out of it..

jbone
    Silly question, but do you mean vacuum leak, oil leak or water leak.
    J

tittyman
    I'm leaking oil between the intake manifold and the head on one side..

My bad probably haven't had enough coffee and didn't read enough! so your saying its leaking air (vacuum) ,say for example below the valve cover inner rail edges? or do you have oil showing there?? Tom

tittyman
    It's leaking oil between the intake manifold and the head..has nothing to do with the valve cover..that seal appears to be just fine and has never leaked..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast