Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merc engine prices

Unchained
    Well, from previous discussions about this I had to dig out a parts list I compiled from engine components right out of the Jegs and Summit catalog.
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/p...partsstudy.jpg
    So that's about what the actual base engine components cost.
    The list was from 2003 so the prices have increased some.
    So now someone can say, "well if you just want to throw something together"
    I never could understand the concept that if Joe's engine shop assembled it with a 4340 crank and Oliver rods, it would be stronger than if I assembled it with a 4340 crank and Oliver rods.
    Parts is parts.

Rob Freeman
    Your invoice doesn't show us anything about what parts were used in building the engine. I am sure you are happy and that is all that counts.
    My point is that you are stating facts about a product that you know very little about. You can buy a double wide trailer for $25,000.00, but you can't compare it to a 4 bedroom home on 2 acres. Two completely different products.
    One is a base engine with a carburetor and a Pertronix distributor. The other is a highly sophisticated, fuel injected, supercharged, electronically controlled boost system, CMI Stainless headers, etc. with a transmission, transom assembly, and speedmaster drive. The drive alone is costs more than your engine and drive combined.
    I am not saying that you did not get a good deal or that your engine will not do everything you need it to. I'm sure it will be great for you.
    The bottom line is that an engine builder or mfg. can only give you the quality of parts that the consumer is paying for.
    I'm out
    as you can see in the pic it has a msd ignition also who needs a blower to make 700 hs and who are yyou to tell me what i know i know more than you think! as yyou can see i also run complete cmi exaust i really dont care cause i aint the only one that thinks mercury is nuts , and a huge engine shop that buys in bulk doesnt pay nearly as much as joe blo wich in turn can be transmitted to the buyer not everyone has to make 15000 a engine just the fools that are willing to pay for it !

Stingray69
    I would just like to see 'sheet 2', please.

BDMar
    as you can see in the pic it has a msd ignition also who needs a blower to make 700 hs and who are yyou to tell me what i know i know more than you think! as yyou can see i also run complete cmi exaust i really dont care cause i aint the only one that thinks mercury is nuts , and a huge engine shop that buys in bulk doesnt pay nearly as much as joe blo wich in turn can be transmitted to the buyer not everyone has to make 15000 a engine just the fools that are willing to pay for it !
    First of all I was not trying to insult your knowledge I appologize if I did.
    When I said "you are stating facts about a product that you know very little about" I was referring only to the Merc 700 SCI package. If you were familiar with that package you would understand that the carbureted base engine you purchased is not a "complete package", or even a complete engine, therefore you cannot price compare it to a supercharged, EFI, engine, trans, transom assy, drive, complete package. Second, I mentioned a Pertronix distributor because that is what your invoice shows. The upgrade to a compplete MSD ignition adds to the cost of your engine. Now you are saying, without taking a breath that your engine is the one in your avatar. You absolutely did not spend the $10,000.00 you claim dress and finish that engine ready to run. Period. your invoice says $10,564.00, now add the MSD ignition, CMI headers, bellhousing, starter, alternator, Merc compatible wire loom, audio warning senders, temp senders, psi sendors, sea water pump, pulleys, engine mounts, engine coupler, etc. Now how much do you have in putting that engine in your boat? And at this point you still need to add in all the drivetrain package, not a Bravo, an NXT package (to price compare to the 700 SCI)
    Now add a more expensive crankshaft, rods and pistons, inconel valves, re-circ water pump, complete thermostat controlled cooling system, oil & power steering coolers, thermostat controlled oil cooling system, cupronickel inner cooler, Lysholm super charger, sequential fire electronic fuel injection including EFI fuel pump, regulator, filter, etc., a transmission, NXT drive, #6 transom assembly, trim pump and lines, etc. etc. etc.
    No, you dont need a blower to make 700 HP, but you are the one comparing your engine pricing to one that has one.
    My point of entering into this thread is to help anyone reading this thread to understand there is alot more to pricing an upgrade than just an engine. All upgrades are based on a 496 Mag/Bravo One. Upgrade to a 525 and you also upgrade to an XR drive. Upgrade to a 700 SCI and you also get all the stuff I previously mentioned. Destroy a Merc engine while it is under warranty and they give you a new one and pay a certified shop to replace it for you.
    Do I think they are too expensive... yes I do. We build more power for less money all the time for our customers.
    Again, I am not insulting you or downgrading your engine. I am simply showing you the difference in your comparisons.
    http://mercuryracing.com/_media/imag...e_hp700sci.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
    First of all, let me start by saying that this is a good thread. Without trying to be a smart ass, Rob Freeman, how many hours are you getting out of a motor? If you are getting legit hours out of a motor, you are getting a killer deal. WIth that being said, the nice thing about bolt ons is that you can take them off of one motor and put them on another, like a MSD Unit, or exhaust, etc. I am sorry, but the price for the Merc 700 is absolutely ridiculous. But if your motor is getting 100 hours out of it and the Merc is getting 1000 hours, well then, you can tell alot. And the nice thing about having a volume performance engine builder do your motor, they are not going to pay retail like the home engine builder is. They will get discounts for purchasing in bulk. That in turn will help with costs for parts as well. My brother just had his motor built by Dave at DNE and while it was pricey, I am amazed at how much bang he got for his buck in the end, 800 + reliable horsepower for a VERY Reasonable Price. If he was to build that motor himself, it woud have been as much as he paid to have it done out the door IMO. Point is respectively, it may be apples to oranges, but then again, It may be washington apples vs. california apples.

Rob Freeman
    id like to see a merc engine especially sc engine get 1ooo hrs hell ive been told to have the top end done at 200 iv yet to here of any of theese 80000 going 1000 hrs id be reluctant to keep 500 hr hp 500 but thats how i feel , i ve got 32000 complete but all once rigged can go on next engine so im expecting and is tand l to see the engine back for freshening every 200 hrs as he knows this too . ill have to wait and see , what i do know is ive got 700 hp long block for 10500 ill post the build sheet to compare theese apples were hering about heads are dart pro one full port and pollish dart single plane the same isky tool room springs isky lifters , crane cam , ill post theese sheets just for shit and giggles great day to all this price also includes new hp gimble 3500 ive listed all this stuff over on boat freaks under wette vettes 598 thread thanks

Beer-30
    One other detail that makes this 700 hp blown to 700 hp NA apples to oranges is the compensation.
    The ECM and bypass on the blower allow the engine to make a constant 700 hp, regardless (well except at extremes) of altitude or density altitude (hot day). NA motors may produce 700 at sea level, but would drop with alt or DA.
    However, if the NA motor was built at 2 or 3000 feet, and made 700 at that level, then it would do more near sea level.

Racer277
    Is it $32000 now, for everything but the drive and trans?
    I'm just trying to be clear.
    id like to see a merc engine especially sc engine get 1ooo hrs hell ive been told to have the top end done at 200 iv yet to here of any of theese 80000 going 1000 hrs id be reluctant to keep 500 hr hp 500 but thats how i feel , i ve got 32000 complete but all once rigged can go on next engine so im expecting and is tand l to see the engine back for freshening every 200 hrs as he knows this too . ill have to wait and see , what i do know is ive got 700 hp long block for 10500 ill post the build sheet to compare theese apples were hering about heads are dart pro one full port and pollish dart single plane the same isky tool room springs isky lifters , crane cam , ill post theese sheets just for shit and giggles great day to all

Rob Freeman
    cmi ehaust , tails , ignition , fully dressed as you see it in my avitar , boostpower 13 pd flywheel , new hp coupler , kpm single stage raw water pump with stainer , al top af tjhe line teague stuff , duel fuel pumps electric and mechanical, if you look at teagues engine on there website i bought there complete engine dress kit , witch cost 4500 comletrete nbew evedrything , pipes and tails 5200 , yea 32000 complete all new top of the line teague iwitch all will go on next engines

first day with a new key board?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast