Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help W/460 #s

superV
    OK after tearing down my 460 I found two broke valves what was left of a piston in the oil pan, 1 bent rod,2 very bent push rods, and a hole 4" long in #3 port side cylinder. So I went out and found me a used 1978 460 with 80 miles on it So my question is what do I have? Block is marked Dove 6015-A28 Heads D3ve - A2a,
    and on the valve cover there is a D8VE-9c485-cc. Keep in mind this just going to used as a spare motor once i finish my build up on the other one. Im going to bolt my rpm performer intake to it, MSD, and new Holley 850 to it along with a nice set of High Performance Ex. mainifolds. JUst looking for it to be dependable. O ya putting a brand new Millings High Volume pump in it to along with all new gaskets.Thanks for the help.

Blown 472
    you have an 8.2 to1 motor with a retarded cam, if you are going to put a pump in it pull the chain and get one for a 68 to71 460 it will advance the cam other than that it is nothing special.

superV
    Blown 472:
    you have an 8.2 to1 motor with a retarded cam, if you are going to put a pump in it pull the chain and get one for a 68 to71 460 it will advance the cam other than that it is nothing special. Chain and sprockets right? Is it weak or just does not perform as well?

Blown 472
    retards the cam and kills some power, put a cj pump in it also and drive it, great back up motor.

superV
    Blown 472:
    retards the cam and kills some power, put a cj pump in it also and drive it, great back up motor. I just bought a Millings will that be OK? So i guess I was right about the chain and sprocket both needing to be replaced?

Blown 472
    yup the pump will work fine, chain and sprockets

What's the casting # on your hurt block? The D0VE block is considered a better block that the D1VE (thin rail) or D9 blocks. Like blown said, use the early style chain set, or a set with a mult-index crank sprocket and degree the cam.

Your D3VE heads are pretty good L/C heads with the closed chambers and 91cc. The heads to avoid like the plague is the D2VE heads with the open chamber. Those things would ping on race gas.

Blown 472
    058:
    Your D3VE heads are pretty good L/C heads with the closed chambers and 91cc. The heads to avoid like the plague is the D2VE heads with the open chamber. Those things would ping on race gas. Not if you milled them down.

Hallett19
    Your best bet is to get the timing gear from ford motorsport. It sets the cam at 0 instead of the 8 (?) degrees retarded the ford is. Adds up to 40 ponies, probably get you close to a hundred rpms. Deck the block too, it helps pump the compression since you have the good heads. You might need to use some crane spacers for your rockers, I think I needed .18 thousanth shims to make it work, easy deal !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast