Thread: boat engine problem

1979tarva
    ok i have had this problem where my engine wont go above 3000 rpm in the water and 4000 rpm on the trailer. i have tried to adjust the timing tuneup carbs(2 different ones carter and holley and no change). ive tried to add more fuel by using carb spray and no change. tonight i tore down the front of the motor to see if maybe the cam was installed wrong but it can be only installed one way and it was dead on. the motor is hard to turn over with a wrench (not any harder than a normal new motor though) i noiticed that i can turn around about 12 of the 16 pushrods like theres no preload on them. i know theres no adjustment. the motor is new as i was told when i got the boat about 2 months ago. it looks like a new motor inside (no sludge or anything like that) any ideas as to what it could be? im thinking about a new camshaft but im not sure what to use.
    its a 460 ford berkley 12jg jet drive holley 750 vac secondary carb msd coin petronics dist conversion timed at 18 ar idle 34 at 3000 it will run at about 30 at idle edelbrock performer 460 intake. the motor seems pretty stock.

If all the usual stuff is ok, like compresson [do leak down] cam timing, fuel supply and strong ignition, and not some limp dick weak yellow spark, check valve springs, they may be dead. If you are now sure the mechanics of the engine checks out good then throw away that intake manifold, those Performer manifolds are for low rpm use...try a RPM performer or a Stealth for a good upper rpm power. The carb may be a little small but should be ok for anything under 5K

1979tarva
    i also have a d1ve block and d3ve a2a heads. i need to get this back together one way od another by sat night so i can go out on sunday.

Dennis Moore
    The first thing you should do is check the fuel pressure. Are there restrictions in the fuel line or fuel filter? Gasoline fresh?
    Next check the compression with a compression tester. If you have too much cranking compression then the camshaft is installed wrong. Should be about 150 - 160.
    Are there restrictions in the exhaust system? Blockage? Rats nest?
    Are the spark plugs wet after you run the engine? Could be a weak spark. Adjust the points and make sure the coil is wired correctly.
    Good Luck
    Dennis Moore

LakesOnly
    Tarva,
    If you do infact have a stock engine with D1VE block and D3VE heads, (and dished pistons) then don't be surprised if your compression is much lower than that, say 130.
    LO

1979tarva
    compression is 150-130 psi all normalfuel is fresh and spark is good plugs are fine and not fouled or anything like that.

DEL51
    Try a different distributor, and make sure all your wires are new.

blowbye
    Had the same symptoms with my 460 a few years ago. Turned out the check valve in the fuel line at the gas tank had fouled itself and would not open fully. Restricted fuel flow limited the RPM to about 2800. Might be worth checking.

1979tarva
    well today i went to the parts store and bought a new dist msd and box valve springs and cam kit im hoping this will fix it