Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help W/460 #s

Blown 472:
    058:
    Your D3VE heads are pretty good L/C heads with the closed chambers and 91cc. The heads to avoid like the plague is the D2VE heads with the open chamber. Those things would ping on race gas. Not if you milled them down. Yep...that would work.....just mill off about a quarter of an inch.

superV
    Well finished up breaking down the new motor and found a bunch of plasit pieces in the oil pan kinda redish brown and look like they all made a collor of some sort. I was thinking it belong to the oil pump any ideas? Everything else look great?

Sounds like those plastic pieces were one of Fords better ideas. The cam sprockets in early engines had plastic teeth to run quieter. Did a great job too, but what you found in the pan was inevitable. I've never had a problem cleaning out the pan, pickup, etc, replacing the chain and sprockets, and running it.
    Is this the one with only 80 miles on it? That block wouldn't have been used on a '78, so it sounds like someone was mixing and matching parts. You might consider using that D0VE block for your buildup, though. wink

The D1 Block is every bit as good as the C8-D0 block even with the thinner pan rails. Any block up thru 78 is strong enough to handle any power you can make naturally asperated and then some. The 79 and up block is ok but is a slightly lighter casting.

The D1 Block is every bit as good as the C8-D0 block even with the thinner pan rails. Any block up thru 78 is strong enough to handle any power you can make naturally asperated and then some. The 79 and up block is ok but is a slightly lighter casting.

superV
    roostwear:
    Sounds like those plastic pieces were one of Fords better ideas. The cam sprockets in early engines had plastic teeth to run quieter. Did a great job too, but what you found in the pan was inevitable. I've never had a problem cleaning out the pan, pickup, etc, replacing the chain and sprockets, and running it.
    Is this the one with only 80 miles on it? That block wouldn't have been used on a '78, so it sounds like someone was mixing and matching parts. You might consider using that D0VE block for your buildup, though. wink It was 80,000 mile on it and this is not the one I will be building up this one is a junker spare I bought for $500 As far as the plastic they look more like seals than teeth is they are teeth would the chain slip when i turn the motor over by hand? BTW im sure this is an orig. unopened motor from 78? Are you sure they are not the valve seals?

Moneypitt
    Yeah, they're probably oil seals...I've got a question about the heads. If the closed chambers are 91 cc, aren't the open chamber head combustion chambers larger? And as such, they would have a lower compression ratio and fuel octane demand.. The above posts are somewhat confusing on this subject..While we're here, what were the chamber/casting # choices for the 428 cu. in.... Thanks ford guys....Moneypitt

The difference between the D2 and the D3 heads is mostly in the chamber, the D2s being an open chamber design that has no quench area and is app. 91cc. The D3 heads that are the same 91cc but have about .100" deeper chamber and has a quench area. These heads usually requires a different valve length as well as pushrod lengths because of the deeper set valves. The quench area along with a piston that is zero decked will promote swirl and turbulence. This will lower the octane requirement needed for a given compresson ratio. Ports are the same or very close in layout and shouldn't make much diference between the 2 castings. In my experence with both heads I would always go with a closed chamber head for the reason I cited above and as far as I'm concerned the D2 heads should be used as yacht mooring material.

superV
    FYI to all, the plasic was the timming gear teeth! eek! Note to self next boat will have a Chevy in it! argue

Blown 472
    superV:
    FYI to all, the plasic was the timming gear teeth! eek! Note to self next boat will have a Chevy in it! argue Now why would you want to put that junk in there?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast