Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good first V-Drive

Neck Check
    Hey Guys,
    I've been lurking for a while and was wondering what you guys thought about this boat for a first V-Drive. We have a houseboat at Apache Lake in Arizona and already have a ski/wakeboard but I want a go fast boat too.
    I found this boat for $10,500, what do you all think is this a good first go fast boat?
    1984 Sanger Runnerbottom V-drive
    454 bored 40 over, aluminum rpm performer edelbrock heads, dual 600 edelbrock marine carbs, boat run 90 to 95 mph, seats 4 comfortably, 2 blade stainless race prop 11x15, custom stainless ski tow, tandom axle trailer with custom removable hitch, aluminum water jacketed exhaust manifold they will not burn you, this is a beautiful boat that runs strong I wish I could keep it but a baby is due within the monthand I must sell it
    Pictures at Sanger (http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=6901)
    Thanks!

kipperps28
    I think Sangers are good boats. Honestly, you couldn't put one together for this amount, but if you hunt around some more you may be able to get a turn key boat for closer to $8K. Just my opinion. Maybe the guy will negotiate...

SGettmann
    Hi Neck Check - Definately recommend having the motor inspected by someone you trust on any used boat purchase. I thought pulling the plugs and doing a compression check was a good test, but there allot of things that you can't tell. Pulling the pan and checking the bearings would have been a good start for me.
    Some guys would recommend if the hull in in good shape,spend what you feel is right for the hull and rigging, and don't give any extra for the motor - since you don't know how much life it has. I tend to agree with this from personal experience. When you build up your own motor (or have it done by a reputable engine builder), you know what you have. Otherwise, you could be given a line of misinformation.
    Just my thoughts. Have fun - boat shopping is always fun.

Moneypitt
    Beware of the pistons. Most if not all +.040 pistons are cast, not forged. I may be wrong, but I'll bet it has never seen 90-95 MPH with the current power/ prop and IF the pistons are cast it sounds like a cheap fix to sell it....MP

olbiezer
    i just thought it was alittle over priced for what u get......just my 2 cents

lindalou
    It is on ebay also.

GofastRacer
    That is a nice "SKI" boat very clean, but way out of line on the price. The way it's setup "if" it does 95 it would be one scary ride!. As far as the motor goes, if you're good at gambling????????????. From my experience with buying complete boats, I woudn't buy one with a motor in it unless I absolutely knew who "built" it, what parts are in it(not what I'm told) and the history of it's running time!.. You can't imagine what you find in some of these boats!..

ColeTR2
    i just thought it was alittle over priced for what u get......just my 2 cents
    Yep by about 4K

dmontzsta
    That is a nice "SKI" boat very clean, but way out of line on the price. The way it's setup "if" it does 95 it would be one scary ride!. As far as the motor goes, if you're good at gambling????????????. From my experience with buying complete boats, I woudn't buy one with a motor in it unless I absolutely knew who "built" it, what parts are in it(not what I'm told) and the history of it's running time!.. You can't imagine what you find in some of these boats!..
    This is experience talking here, you cant beat that with a bat.
    Definately go less motor, you just never know.
    I took the company van to jiffy lube today.
    The Jiffy Lube Tech: "It has been 13,000 miles since your last oil change."
    The Customer: *PAUSE" "I think I had it changed somewhere else."
    The Jiffy Lube Tech: "It still had our oil filter on it, when we pulled the drain plug, not much came out and it was sludge"
    The Customer: "Just change the oil, I am trading it in soon"
    The vehicle had 45k on it and the poor thing is shit. I am sure he will not say so during the sell.

dossangers
    http://www.race-dezert.com/trader/photo/Salep6901n1.jpg 80 MPH TOPS AND ITS WORTH ABOUT 5K$$$$ TOPS with that dog motor good ski boat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast