Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: float a Boat

buried in the mud
    Is there any device out there that would inflate under the bow of your boat to keep it afloat so that the boat will not sink?. Give me your opion on this. I would like to design something for this reason.

Jordy
    I know, how about a big inner-tube???
    Perhaps a bunch of beach balls.

RitcheyRch
    Later?

buried in the mud
    I know, how about a big inner-tube???
    Perhaps a bunch of beach balls.
    I was thinking more in lines of a switch that would activate a co2 mech and then inflate a tube or something under the bow. This would keep the nose up so that the boat can be towed back in rather than sink.

buried in the mud
    Later?
    Thats what I learned from that episode and his situation. No not later.

Boatcop
    Recreational boats are required to be designed with basic and/or level floatation inherent to the hull in all mono hull boats under 20' in length, and is recommended for all boats over 20'. (USCG, NMMA, & ABYC Standards)
    This is so they won't sink, except in catastrophic hull failure.
    Since it costs more money, boat builders seldom (if ever) put optional floatation where not required. (Boston Whaler excepted) I don't know of any (over 20') boat manufacturers who even offer floatation as a paid option.
    Most of the recalls issued on recreational boats are for lack of required floatation. The problem only becomes apparent when a number of boats from the same manufacturer sink, rather than float when they should.
    As long as boat makers tout speed, looks and bling over safety there will always be a need for boat salvage operators.

burtandnancy2
    Used to stuff a truck inner tube way up in the bow to prevent a sinking of my GN boat...

Nord
    Thanks for the great idea..........I've already submitted a pattent. God I love these forums..... I hope this is better than my last idea.......
    ~NORD~

RiverDave
    Recreational boats are required to be designed with basic and/or level floatation inherent to the hull in all mono hull boats under 20' in length, and is recommended for all boats over 20'. (USCG, NMMA, & ABYC Standards)
    This is so they won't sink, except in catastrophic hull failure.
    Since it costs more money, boat builders seldom (if ever) put optional floatation where not required. (Boston Whaler excepted) I don't know of any (over 20') boat manufacturers who even offer floatation as a paid option.
    Most of the recalls issued on recreational boats are for lack of required floatation. The problem only becomes apparent when a number of boats from the same manufacturer sink, rather than float when they should.
    As long as boat makers tout speed, looks and bling over safety there will always be a need for boat salvage operators.
    I wrote you a PM about this, but I thought maybe it'd be better to answer it here so all can see? I've seen the old Spectra adds where there's two guys sitting on the "sunk" boat and it's floating underwater flat and level. If it's a CG regulation then how are new boat builders getting by with building boats that go bow up and then sink to the bottom? What happened to the level floating dealio?
    RD

LUVNLIFE
    Is there any device out there that would inflate under the bow of your boat to keep it afloat so that the boat will not sink?. Give me your opion on this. I would like to design something for this reason.
    You can always blow foam in the front. It is light weight and floats. I did it with a 19' Daytona I had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast