Thread: Wet Sanding Sucks!

RIVER DAD
    Wet sanding is no friend of mine............ Took three days of sanding with 1000 grit and then going over again with 1500 grit. Kinda scared me because it really looked like crap when I was done. At least it looked consistantly bad, and there were no lows or highs that I could see, just even dullness. Today the good stuff started and I started of with a 1400 RPM buffer with a cutting pad and some 3M cutting compound, followed by a finish pad and 3M polishing copmpund. Holy Sh#$!!!!!!!! This thing turned out beautifull!!!!! It looks like a brand new boat. Boat is an 87 19' CP gullwing with 5 reds on a white hull, and I can't even believe it's a 19 year old boat. I'll try to get some pictures up of a before and after. It didn't look bad before, but what a diff. If anyone is thinking about doing it I would say go for it. Just plan on a couple of days of not being able to feel your fingers at night.......... Also, don't even bother trying to polish around hardware, just take it all off (found out the hard way.) Jason

Ken F
    Lol...yep. Sure makes you feel good to look at it now though does'nt it?
    Ken F

RIVER DAD
    That it does!!!!!!!!!!! It was hard work but it sure payed off. My brother and I picked this boat up on a trade and we stripped it all the way down to a bare hull. Slowly getting it back together with all new hardware. Luckily, the interior had just been done so it's fine. This will be kinda strange, but it's my first non-headered boat. I have three kids under five so the wife said the Bassett tats are gone for now, and this one just happened to be thru transom with a covered engine. Don't see many CP's with a covered engine compartment and a bimini, but what can ya do?????????? It'll still be clean as hell and have some trick hardware in it. I just can't see myself going to a tuperware family boat, so this will have to do for now!!!!!!!! The best part is, the wife bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flat broke
    River Dad,
    Do you have any before and after shots? I've seen a couple guys on the boards have real good luck color sanding their boats back to new/near new.
    Chris

RIVER DAD
    Chris,
    I'll try to get some pictures up soon, but the digital camera just crapped out. I'll have my brother bring his up this week. I only have one shot of it before and it is pretty tough to see. I would definately recommend it if anyone is considering restoring an older hull, the thing looks wet just sitting on the trailer! Jason

Moneypitt
    So, 3 days of fun sanding the toy, look at all the experience you gained. And the results made it all worthwhile. Now compare those 3 days of work to the cost of a paint job, even a "cheap" paint job! And chances are you were sanding a much tougher gelcoat that will outlast paint 3 to 1............MP

moneysucker
    Mine has seen the rough side of a wet sand job almost every season to get scratches off from irresponsible dog owners who let their pets jump on others stuff. The first wet sand job started with 400 to get the haze off. Black gel not fun for maintenence but looks great for the 5 minutes it is clean. Now lets see some pix of your ride.