Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Schiada 21RC @ LA...

Once again, that Schiada is incredable. Whats the purpose of the "outboard rudder" ?
    With the external rudder the boat is a little faster about 5 mph
    faster or so. but they don't turn as sharp.

h2oski2fast
    Where do you find these Adel Clamps or Billit seperators.
    You can get them through www.southcoaststainless.com > they are located in Havasu, but ship everywhere. You can even get them polish so they look like chrome. The new website will be up shortly so you can order directly online.

Wrenchforce
    With the external rudder the boat is a little faster about 5 mph
    faster or so. but they don't turn as sharp.
    What about sliding the fin forward by about a foot in front of the v-drive box? Schiada usually sets up the fin directly under the v-drive. My dad's 21' has the fin set 1' forward and the boat can turn so sharp that it could catch a chine and has been known for throwing the driver and observer out of the boat on the back side of the island at Mission Bay. Took about an inch or so off the skag and that helped a bit, but my point, the boat turns really good. Hit the override on the plates and it turns sharp. I finally have my plates dialled in with considerable amount of up and down plate, which I didn't have with the previous rigging. If I don't like the turning when I get my motor built up, the skag is getting moved forward and going with drop through hardware. My main concern at this time is if she will carry the nose with the horsepower (900 or so hp with the gentry turbos) with the amount of up plate that I have. With my previous setup, the boat was a cadillac on the water, plates wouldn't go above nuetral position.

Wrenchforce
    I'm sure Timmy will be glad to set you up.
    http://www.redart.com/
    Thanks WilderthanU - I checked out the link you posted and sent an email off to them about marine seats. Pretty sweet bucket seats.

Firecracker
    Once again, that Schiada is incredable. Whats the purpose of the "outboard rudder" ?
    Mainly the purpose of having the rudder like that is to get it further away from the propeller. The "prop wash" makes it harder to steer the boat, and keep it under control, so by moving the rudder further back, it is getting it further away from the prop wash, making it easier to control and steer the boat.
    I wouldn't doubt that it would make the boat slightly faster either. But the main purpose is for drivability. If you look at most of the v-drive Hallett and Schiada ski race boats, they have their rudders like that. When you are driving a boat in a 45 minute marathon, not having to fight the steering is a plus.
    Some may not agree with me...

Mainly the purpose of having the rudder like that is to get it further away from the propeller. The "prop wash" makes it harder to steer the boat, and keep it under control, so by moving the rudder further back, it is getting it further away from the prop wash, making it easier to control and steer the boat.
    I wouldn't doubt that it would make the boat slightly faster either. But the main purpose is for drivability. If you look at most of the v-drive Hallett and Schiada ski race boats, they have their rudders like that. When you are driving a boat in a 45 minute marathon, not having to fight the steering is a plus.
    Some may not agree with me...
    I disagree

Firecracker
    I disagree
    Ohhhhhh... But why????
    Oh wait... I don't care!!!

Racey
    I disagree
    Disagree also, the main reason is to gain that extra 5mph, when you are going 90+ there is so much water pressure going past that rudder even without propwash just from the sheer amount of water passing it that it would make it hard to turn the wheel, The reason the external rudder gives you more speed is the lack of drag by only having to have the narrowest parts of the rudder in the water and not the 1 1/8" shaft breaking the water, which also helps the boat carry more of the front end.

Firecracker
    Disagree also, the main reason is to gain that extra 5mph, when you are going 90+ there is so much water pressure going past that rudder even without propwash just from the sheer amount of water passing it that it would make it hard to turn the wheel, The reason the external rudder gives you more speed is the lack of drag by only having to have the narrowest parts of the rudder in the water and not the 1 1/8" shaft breaking the water, which also helps the boat carry more of the front end.
    No matter what, like you said, at 90+ there is going to be that issue. But it still makes the boat easier to drive regardless. If the rudder was closer to the prop there would be that much more pressure pushing against it. You have a great point, and I agree with that also. The issue I am talking about is not turning the boat at 90+ mph. I don't know many people who ski race that would be able to stay on the stick in a turn at 90.
    It also makes it easier to drive the boat in a straight line. Every v-drive at some point from the prop wash pulls one direction or another in a straight. And for that matter, when you are getting out of it going into a turn they may decide to pull one direction or another on you. By having the rudder further back, it makes the boat more drivable period. In a turn, or going down the straight. It takes more speed to create the same amount of pressure in the prop wash pushing against the rudder when it is further back, than if the rudder was not "hanging" off the back, thus making it easier to drive the boat at higher speeds. Not to say that it wouldn't still be a handfull.
    Like I said, I am not disagreing with you. You have a very good point as well. I think what I was trying to say was missed. And yes, it also helps the boat cary the nose better.
    But hey, what do I know right? I'm just a "Stupid Chick".

Firecracker
    OK, I'm done. I don't want to get in any HB arguments.
    We are all entitled to our opinions, and thoughts/ theories.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast