I was reading 396_Z and Circlejerk's comments in another post, and instead of asking there, I started another.
I'm planning on an engine for this 18LP (18' low profile) Raysoncraft flat in the not-too-distant future, and since I'm not into building a rocketship this time, your comments got my interest about the feasibility of a 396/402 in this application. The Casale has 22% gears, 9deg strut, Velvet Drive, etc. and it's a heavy layup. I've already got the waterpump, camcover, Dooley pan, exhaust, distributor etc for a MkIV.
I'm wondering if I'm right to believe that this engine is cheaper to obtain than a 427/454 MkIV as a core/rebuilder, especially in this area of the US. Whaddya think?? $400 complete? Where should this come in at?b
So what would you guys suggest as far as the block I should look for? 2bolt vs 4bolt vs aftermarket 4bolt conversion? Cast vs Forged vs Aftermarket forged crank? Rods? Heads? Induction? (would kinda like some WoW factor to the carb setup )
I'm going to the SEMA show in Vegas in November, so I'll get to see/talk to folks from Holley/Edelbrock and others there, too. Ought to be fun...anybody else going? See ya there.
Let your thoughts flow, guys. I'm listening. Could help some other fellas, too.
DaveA
Raysoncrafter