Thread: Gale Banks SBC Twin Turbo?

Annihilation
    Hey just like to know what all I would need to get this kit in my boat
    I recently replaced my motor with a 350 crate motor... I dont mind if it voids the warrant I got it dirt cheap
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1
    guy says a boost controller is needed?
    what do yall think
    I'm a lil new to the turbo deal

No matter how cheap you got the crate motor it will not hold up under boost for any length of time. Ditch the cast pistons and get the comp. ratio down to 8 to 1 or less. A good set of rods wouldn't hurt either, at least a decent set of bolts and have them magged and reconditioned. The cast crank will be another weak link in the chain. Unless you are planning on running less than 4-5 lbs of boost expect engine problems. Learn to read plugs, watch the timing with an eagle eye and jet the carb rich then it might live.

Annihilation
    Thanks
    should i get a MSD BTM ?

79centurion
    You should be fine with 4-5 lbs of boost. Carcraft did an article a few years back trying to blow up the crate motor and put a small 177 blower on it with good luck. If it is the GM crate motor, you have the chevy pink rods, so they are better than the stock ones, and it will be a 4 bolt main. Put it on and have fun, or if not maybe I should buy it.
    Dan

LandSpeedRacer
    Although I am not running the Banks set up, I would suggest you read read read. I never ran turbos before and my project started as buying 2 used turbos on ebay for $9. Then I started reading. The first thing I learned is you will be miles ahead if you start with new parts. If you also understand what is going on, you will be fine. I am running the 360 (350 SBC) out of our old ex-Chuck Gurney / Jim Marsh sprint car, and of course, I replaced the 13 to one pistons with flat tops ans basically stock rods. I'm running 487x casting heads, essentially stock. I left the roller cam and lifters in, and suprisingly, it works very well.
    I elected to not do a blow-through set up because I did not want to heat the fuel when running the fuel and air through the turbos. Instead, I made my own injection and the engine gets it's fuel by nozzles pointed right at the intake valves. The pressurized air still goes through an air to air intercooler.
    The main control of boost is blow off valves on the intake side to prevent and control overboosting, and wastegates on the exhaust side to to release excess pressure build-up. Both also help prevent turbine stalling when the throttle slams shut. The main thing is control your boost and you will be fine. Then one rule applies, the more boost, the more bucks.
    And have fun - we are!!! (see pics posted a couple weeks ago)
    LSR

texas-19
    Post up the pics