Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb squirter ?

BK
    I have 2 holley 600's (1850's), one of them shoots a nice clean stream of fuel and the accelerator pump arm feels real firm when I push down on it, the other barely sqirts anything and sorta feels like theres hardley any tention on the arm at all. These carbs where just rebuilt and this is the first time fuels been put in them, I changed the accelerator pump and it didnt help. Any info would be great, thanks.

Fiat48
    You might check the needle valve that is located under the shooter and see if it is stuck.

Infomaniac
    Fiat48:
    You might check the needle valve that is located under the shooter and see if it is stuck. Yep - Take the squirter off shoot some carb cleaner down in it and wiggle it with a pick.
    DO NOT SHOOT IT OUT INTO THE ENGINE !!!!!!!
    Otherwise take the bowl off and look at everything.

Dyce51
    is the float properly adjusted?..if the floats are set too low there will not be suficient fuel flow causing a soft acceloratar pump and weak ful spray....also check the power valve as well

BK
    OK so I put a new needle valve in and it still doesnt squirt any fuel. I took the bowl off and when I removed one of the bottom screws lots of fuel emtied out so there was fuel in the bowl. I ran air through the metering block and it came out the other side and ran air into the hole in the carb body and air came out the squirter nozzles. I also pushed down on the accelerator pump arm with the bowl off and it did squirt fuel, im not sure what to try next? Dyce mentoined power valve but they're brand new, would a bad pv caust this problem?
    One more thing, I got the motor to fire off but it just spudders and dies, will the front carb squirters not working cause this? Thanks for any info you cant give.

BK:
    OK so I put a new needle valve in and it still doesnt squirt any fuel. I took the bowl off and when I removed one of the bottom screws lots of fuel emtied out so there was fuel in the bowl. I ran air through the metering block and it came out the other side and ran air into the hole in the carb body and air came out the squirter nozzles. I also pushed down on the accelerator pump arm with the bowl off and it did squirt fuel, im not sure what to try next? Dyce mentoined power valve but they're brand new, would a bad pv caust this problem?
    One more thing, I got the motor to fire off but it just spudders and dies, will the front carb squirters not working cause this? Thanks for any info you cant give. Needle valve will not affect accelerator pump function (unless there's no fuel in the bowl in which case the engine wouldn't be running anyway). You did indicate there was a large amount of fuel in the bowl when you removed the screw. If the squirter is clear you have another obstruction or the rubber accelerator pump diafram is bad. Check to make sure the port in the gasket lines up with the passage. If you have the wrong gasket installed blocking the port it will not squirt.
    A bad pv will not affect the operation of the accelerator pump although it will make the motor run poorly.
    The fact you say the motor sputters and dies tells me you may have a fuel supply problem of some kind but that could be caused by a myriad of other things too, not fuel related.

Sandbar Junkies
    Check the accelerater pump cams to make sure the the same color and they were both installed correctly.

FastTimmy
    How about the one way valve in the botom of the bowl. The one that lets the fuel into the diaphragm area but doesn't let it go back into the bowl when you cycle the pump. Some use the check ball type and others use the orange flapper.
    Just .02 more!

BK
    I have the little orange flapper and I replaced it and the pump diafram (I have lots of extra parts). I do have the correct gasket and everything seems to line up with no obstructions. Something I noticed last night after I put it back togeather, if I pushed down on the accelerator pump arm with my finger I could here air coming out the squirter nozzel or at least it seemed like it was, guess im just not getting fuel into the accelerator pump? Could the needle and seat assembley cause this by not allowing enough pressure to build up in the bowl?
    [ April 14, 2003, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: BK ]

BK:
    I have the little orange flapper and I replaced it and the pump diafram (I have lots of extra parts). I do have the correct gasket and everything seems to line up with no obstructions. Something I noticed last night after I put it back togeather, if I pushed down on the accelerator pump arm with my finger I could here air coming out the squirter nozzel or at least it seemed like it was, guess im just not getting fuel into the accelerator pump? Could the needle and seat assembley cause this by not allowing enough pressure to build up in the bowl? The fuel in the bowl is not pressurized. The float and needle valve cut the fuel off when it reaches the proper level. Pressurized fuel is only on the line side of the needle valve. The bowl is just fuel storage for the various fuel distribution circuits in the carb...jets, power valve, accel pump etc. You mentioned fuel ran out of the bowl when you pulled the screw. You also mentioned the thing not running which sounds like possibly no fuel. First determine for sure if you have fuel in the bowl (sight plug). If you do then there's an obstruction between the bowl and the accel pump OR the accel pump is not adjusted and working properly OR you might have the wrong size diafram in it for the pump you have.
    However if you have no or little fuel in the bowl that would explain the accel pump problem and the motor not running - idling. My guess is you've got one carb not getting fuel (or much fuel) for some reason which would also explain why it won't hardly run.
    [ April 14, 2003, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast