Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sealing A Oil Pan

TRIMMIN
    I have a chrome Armando pan that we have tried 3 1-piece gaskets on and it still has a leak. On the run in stand we saw the first leak, pulled the pan and DA'ed the chrome sealing surface and it still leaked. Put the pan on a flat surface and beat it around a little and tried gasket #3 (all different brands) and it still leaks. We rolled the motor on it's side to test this one. Hard to see where it is coming from as it has spreader bars in place. We don't really want to use any type of sealent if we don't have to but that might be our only hope. Any ideas?

WannabeRacing
    You put an oil pan on without sealant?
    Can you do that?

TRIMMIN
    You would know better than I. I though a 1-piece should be all that is needed.

we use armandos pans with one pc felpro gaskets all the time with no sealer EXCEPT in the corners where the rubber end seals would meet the pan gasket on the old style four pc junk, you still have to use silly-cone there, other that--zero leaks on three differant pans from him.

f_inscreenname
    Oil pan, I RTV the whole thing. Why take a risk? A tube of the stuff is only 5 bucks.

because my pan comes off about every 20 running hours, if it didn't I would run what ever and seal the sheet out it

curtis73
    As with all chrome pieces, use emery cloth or some sandpaper to scuff the chrome at the mating surfaces. I learned that at a young age building plastic models. You always scrape the chrome stuff off the plastic before you glue.
    Chrome is a remarkably frustrating surface. Get rid of it. Sand it off, scuff it, whatever. Never let chrome be a sealing surface, it will always leak.

GofastRacer
    Oil pan, I RTV the whole thing. Why take a risk? A tube of the stuff is only 5 bucks.
    Because silicone makes a mess and half of it ends up in the pan around the pickup!..

GofastRacer
    we use armandos pans with one pc felpro gaskets all the time with no sealer EXCEPT in the corners where the rubber end seals would meet the pan gasket on the old style four pc junk, you still have to use silly-cone there, other that--zero leaks on three differant pans from him.
    I use a 1 piece and no silly $hit, if the pan is good and fits right don't even need it in the corners, those 1 piece are the $hit!..

GofastRacer
    A note about chrome pans, they hold heat and will add 20 degrees to the oil....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast