Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smithy CNC 1240

HOSS
    Anyone got one or know of one and pros and cons? Looking at buying one. Thanks

You can buy nice Bridgeport style mills used in the $2K range that are decent. They kick ass over the toys if you're doing any amount of milling.

Which one is the 1240? is it a 1300 Granite series or the 1200 Midas type?
    Rio
    It's neither. It is a new unit and falls into the category of "bench-top mill". List price is approx $16k Smithy 1240cnc (http://www.smithycnc.com/index.html)

victorfb
    You can buy nice Bridgeport style mills used in the $2K range that are decent. They kick ass over the toys if you're doing any amount of milling.
    WERE?

Mostly from NC shops that no longer need em. I picked a good one up awhile back for $2500 with dig readout, auto feeds, and a nice curt vice too. And tight enough for making average boat parts.
    Granted they aren't CNC's but they aren't 16K either.
    I think there's some BP style mills around too with NC addons for prolly 5K.

Fiat48
    And old mills and lathes are money in the bank. Worth what you paid or more when you sell them

victorfb
    $2500 for a dig mill is awsome. im just begining the garage project so i will definatly be looking for one by the end of summer. clearing out the lot for a 50'X26' slab to build on so ill make sure i make the area were the mill will be a bit thicker. and yes CNC is nice, but for 16k id rather turn some wheels. ill have 13.5k to spend on scrap to practice on. (if you wanna look at it that way)

$2500 for a dig mill is awsome. im just begining the garage project so i will definatly be looking for one by the end of summer. clearing out the lot for a 50'X26' slab to build on so ill make sure i make the area were the mill will be a bit thicker. and yes CNC is nice, but for 16k id rather turn some wheels. ill have 13.5k to spend on scrap to practice on. (if you wanna look at it that way)
    If I come across any mills I'll let ya know.
    There's some lathes floating around for similar money from time to time too. I picked up a nice large turret lathe for around 2K several years ago and have seen some others since.

victorfb
    cant have one without the other. thanks.

superdave013
    wow, for thousands less I bought a supermax cnc (1985), Ultratech knee mill (1996) with 3 axis dro, chucker lathe (1969) that's very nice and might be getting (sold with tooling), granit surface plate, 7hp air compressor, small drill press, nice baldor grinder, 3 different styles of belt sanders, 2 matched Kurt vices, 2 import cheepO vices, Dividing heads, TONS and TONS of tooling, 2 life times of carbide, a life time of measuring and inspection stuff, full master tap index, full master drill indexs.
    I would like to get a Brown and Sharp screw machine. I have boxs and boxs of B&S tooling so that's why i'm looking for that brand. Anyone know if B&S tooling will fit any other brand machine?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast