Thread: Should I buy off the internet?

STV_Keith
    Looking to buy a few Memphis Audio marine speakers and no one in town has them. I'd have to order them in from one of the dealers here in town, and I've never been to any of them that are Memphis Audio dealers. Even the Memphis website has dealers listed that no longer carry their stuff.
    The Memphis website says not to buy from Ebay or any online shops, or there is no warranty.
    Well, on a $190/pair set of speakers, I can get them on the net for $150. Even with shipping, that's saving a bit. And I'm looking at 2-3 pair.
    Suggestions?

jbtrailerjim
    My brother in law is a dealer for Memphis. His shop is called the Audio Shoppe. It's in Riverside. (951)787-0550. Talk to Alan and tell him his brother law Jimmy recommended you.

STV_Keith
    Thanks Jim!

74sleek
    Funny how all these manufacturers websites say don't buy from the internet etc.... buy from an authorized dealer instead.... Like you are gonna get "fake" merchandise or something from a "non-authorized" dealer.
    LOL
    Most all of my customers have memphis, planet audio, etc.. and most all of it comes from small stereo shops or flea markets, internet, wholesale shops.... The customers who DID buy from an authorized dealer have the exact same equipment as the flea market, no difference in product, service may be better from an authorized dealer, but seriously, I think the days of the "Authorized Dealer" stereo shop have come and gone. With the internet selling so cheap, there's just not enough margin on the equipment to make ANY money on the equipment itself, only the install labor.
    Nothing wrong with buying name brand equipment from the internet IMHO. And I work on the stuff, even the stuff bought from Authorized Dealers blows up from time to time...

thmper321
    Allen is a good guy over there at The Audio Shoppe. He knows his stuff and has an incredible staff.
    As for buying off the internet as long as they seem to be a reputable source it is not so bad. Some people have been screwed over buying car audio products over the internet. Ususally getting shipped used and bad products and not allowing the customer a refund.

jbone
    Hey Keith,
    I bought my Memphis stuff from a shop that is not in business anymore. I got 2 pairs of 6x9's, 1 pair of 8", and 1 pair of 6.5". I'm very happy with their performance. My only complaint is the grills. They are a little fragile.
    I guess I'll have to upgrade to billet some day.
    J