Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So Cal Grocery Store Strike

You can vote mutiple categories in the above poll.
    In the aftermath of the So Cal Grocery Store Stike a few years ago I'm curious how many changed their buying habits permanently following the strike.
    I personally didn't shop and the stores with picketers during the strike primarily because I wasn't into the harassment and indifference to customers from the picketing employees that was widely publicized. During the strike I shopped at other stores including Stater Bros and more frequently Trader Joes (which I rarely shopped at prior to the strike). Now today I shop probably 60-70% from Trader Joes (because they're cheaper on many things and for the most part faster checkout service) than the big names (I discovered this during the strike). Before the strike I shopped almost 100% split between Vons, Ralphs, and Albertsons. Now that split is 30-40% of my total and that's primarily because Trader Joes doesn't have everything, not because I want to shop at the big 3.
    Just curious if the strike alienated anyone else or if most returned to their prior shopping routine.

robk
    I do a lot of my shopping at Trader Joes and Staters for the same reasons.
    Rob

shueman
    We shop multiple outlets....have for awhile. The contracts are up again this month....should be interesting.

LHC30Victory
    I've been a Staters shopper LONG before the strike ever happened. TJ's is always good for fun stuff and they are close...when will one come to LHC???

phebus
    I left the state.

Trailer Park Casanova
    The workers commited employment suicide with the strike.
    We honored the picket line, but while we were in the Starbux a few doors down, all the cars in the lot got their paint jobs key'd including ours.
    WallMart superstores seemed to be the main theme for reduced benies for the grocery workers that put the strike in gear.
    You can pay good and give good benefits and beat Wall Mart/Sams Club.
    We had 3 Sam Clubs in our general metro area, and COSTCO ran them outta business.
    Most Costco employees that started with the company are still there.
    A Sams Club Employee lasts about 9 months.
    Costco employee is paid 40% more, has healthcare not dependant on the taxpayers (read the book "Wall Mart, the high cost of low price"), and customers are far more pleased with COSTCO than Wall Mart/Sams Club.
    Wal-Mart vs. CostCo More Facts and Numbers:
    Employer contributions to health care each year:
    Costco, $5,735
    Wal-Mart, $3,500
    82 percent of Costco employes are covered by the health plan
    Wal-Mart, 47 percent are covered by health plan.
    Employee turnover at Wal-Mart is nine times higher than Costco's.
    Factoid from BusinessWeek: Costco's profit per employee is $13,647; Wal-Mart's, $11,039.
    They grocers coulda worked it all out.
    The strike didn't have to happen.

OutCole'd
    Rex, thanks for having an option for Djunkie to participate.

Riverless
    i was a trader joe's shopper BEFORE the strike. now, everytime i go in there, doesn't matter what time of day, weekday or weekend, it is PACKED. this is really annoying to me, because it wasn't nearly as busy before the strike. the strike definitely increased biz for tj's, which is good for them, but i find myself just running up to my neighborhood von's or stater's because i don't feel like dealing with the crowds at tj's.
    edit: we are suppose to be getting a tj's in claremont. i am hoping this one won't be as busy as the one in upland, which is where i usually go.

cc322
    I do a lot of my shopping at Trader Joes and Staters for the same reasons.
    Rob
    Exactly what I do now more or less

HocusPocus
    we only have one store option here in phelan and thats staters. we do go to costco often for our bigger spending. i do like trader joes but they closest ones are in redlands or lancaster.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast