Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Boat!! Help this guy if you can

CircleJerk
    Forgot to mention: There is a REWARD for finding this boat intact! Good Luck Steve

CircleJerk
    This boat is still missing! After two months have gone by he hasnt had one tip. Again, lets keep looking for a good guy who WAS racing for fun! Thanks Steve for the great pictures! they were so clear I could see the chips in our paint at 100 yards! Your surprise is on its way. Jerkamaniac

Snark
    Well, the hull was found. Apparently it has been in a towing company lot for 2 months now. It was found in an apartment parking lot, stripped and without the trailer. I'm a little light on details right now, more than likely the greedy bastards did some damage taking everything apart too. Sounds like the plates and pedals are gone. Just waiting to hear the bad news from the towing company, more than likely he has a hefty storage bill going. Are there any rules about how much they can charge for that?
    Here's another interesting twist to the story. The Moses Lake Police scanned pictures at the race site and I was told they were statewide immediately and everywhere else soon after, which is cool. The towing company tells me they talked to Federal Way Police, Seattle/Tacoma Police and even the Coast Guard trying to find the owner. The only number left on the boat was the serial number, which was also with the Moses Lake Police. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching, just curious about the communication process and why it didn't work at all. I know my angle on this is limited to "tunnel vision" (ha-ha) but I'm still surprised at the communication breakdown.
    The towing company called Cougar Boats after a customer at an auction identified as a Cougar out of Salmon Arm, B.C. and Wayne Booth of Cougar gave me the heads up. He and Herb McIntyre did the assembly of the boat back in 1988. Kind of a long ugly circle there!
    Hopefully the receptionist is wrong and there's still some hardware left. If you live in that area and see a v-drive, parts or plate hardware for sale let me know. If there's any justice in the world those thieves and yours truly will cross paths at some time. Unrequited vengeance is a bitch!

flattie
    I feel your pain> I wake up alot at night with nightmares of my truck & v-drive missing. I don't know how I would re-act if I had to live it. I'm sure the first thing I would do is start having a pistol on my side. shoot first ask questions later.

Riptide01
    Was the boat found in Moses Lake? or where?

CircleJerk
    Snark, I assume Hot Wired was found in the Seattle area. You were right in thinking the hull would surface somewhere. No pun intended. Sorry for you that so much is missing. If you need another 468 LS7, its yours for what I stole it for. Jerkpunless...

Snark
    The towing company is in Federal Way and I'm having trouble getting any details for some reason. Phone calls aren't being returned, from cops and towing companies. I need to know what's there and how bad the damage is. I'm getting a bad feeling about this tow company, I think he's working up a big bill for storage and is running out of fingers and toes. I'll keep at it today but I don't intend on being a double victim in this case.

126driver
    Snark - wouldn't your insurance co. be responsible for any storage fees? Hell, you had no idea it was sitting there. In Phoenix, if someone has your car towed from their lot they are responsible for the charges, not you. Not many people know that and just go in and pay the charges. My cop cousin told me that. It's a lot easier if you go in there and quote the state statute and tell the tow company to call the cops and get them involved. Happened to me a couple years ago. They decided to let me have my truck back, but they sure bitched about it.

Snark
    No insurance on a race boat, tough to get and really spendy too. You know, after all this happened in August I had so many people come up to me and tell me how they insured their race boats, really creative. Including one team with a blown alcohol hydro, getting fire and theft only. Trouble is when you do file a claim someone looks into all this stuff and then you have nothing after paying the premiums. I know lots of people that lie about the horsepower, even engines. I'm sure some people get away with it after making claims too.
    Anyway, point I'm trying to make here is after the theft I went to a selection of local insurance agencies and tried to get the real story. If you want to play it straight there's very few companies that will insure any kind of high performance boat, I never found a local one. They wouldn't even quote me a price, even the companies I played down the horsepower. SOme places I just asked for fire and theft, noyhing for on the water, got the same answer. One place referred me to a company in Salmon Arm that would get a large group policy together.
    Now I know you can insure anything if you want to pay hefty premiums but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.
    Left messages again today with the tow company, still no word. Waiting to hear back from some friends in Seattle, see if they can get over there and poke around.

126driver
    Oh yeah. Sorry about the brain fart.
    I had my last race boat insured as a "ski runabout." They never asked for a pic. No insurance on this one though. Well, except for the "Glock" policy. eek!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast