Thread: Spinning in vs spinning out

Toffen
    Hi!
    It seems to that I have spunned my props outward last summer om my Phantom 25 with twin merc 2.5 EFI's.
    I felt the boat was running very flat and high, and it needed lots of positive trim. However, I only managed to test two different kind of props (Mirage Plus 27 and Bravo One 28).
    Spinning in should create better bowlift and free up the hull. The downside can be a more unstable ride and problems docking.
    The Phantom 25 is very weight sensitive and bowheavy. So I wonder how much gain I will get spinning in. On bigger V hulls 1-2 mph I have read.
    I will use ET 28 pitch props this summer.
    Any experiences out there?
    Cheeeers! Toffen G

Towndrunk
    Hey man, I think the reason nobody has answered this is it's confusing. Language barrier and all. I don't have a clue what you mean and I doubt anyone else does either. Sorry,
    TD

sleekcraft137
    Hi!
    It seems to that I have spunned my props outward last summer om my Phantom 25 with twin merc 2.5 EFI's.
    I felt the boat was running very flat and high, and it needed lots of positive trim. However, I only managed to test two different kind of props (Mirage Plus 27 and Bravo One 28).
    Spinning in should create better bowlift and free up the hull. The downside can be a more unstable ride and problems docking.
    The Phantom 25 is very weight sensitive and bowheavy. So I wonder how much gain I will get spinning in. On bigger V hulls 1-2 mph I have read.
    I will use ET 28 pitch props this summer.
    Any experiences out there?
    Cheeeers! Toffen GI've thought about trying that on my boat as well, from what I know having them turn inward will make the loose but fast.

STV_Keith
    Toffen, e-mail Kevin over at the prop shop. kevin@randrpropshop.com My Scarab spins outward. I'm pretty sure spinning out generates stern lift.

sleekcraft137
    Toffen, e-mail Kevin over at the prop shop. kevin@randrpropshop.com My Scarab spins outward. I'm pretty sure spinning out generates stern lift.To change it, do you just change the lowers or do you have to swap motors?

DMOORE
    I'm not a pro on this subject, but I've read a number of articles about this. Most articals agree that turning the props in, usually results in a higher top speed. The caveat to this, is that some boats do not respond very well ,and can get loose. Also at docking speeds there can be a bit less control. My cat runs them inward, and doesn't have any problems at docking. Infact it backs down better than my Ski-Centurian which wants to go sideways when backing down.
    Darrell.

Jordy
    My 30' Spectre with twin 300X's spun in with no ill handling effects, nor docking. Perhaps people without docking skills like to have something to blame it on.

STV_Keith
    To change it, do you just change the lowers or do you have to swap motors?
    Obviously you have to swap the lowers, but I'm not 100% sure about having to possibly swap the shift cables. Mercs typically pull into forward and push into reverse...might be different in a LH Merc...I don't have one so I can't check.

LakeTrash
    May make a difference on some set ups but made no difference on either of the twins I have had.
    I have switched back and forth 4 times in a day trying to establish a difference with only wasted time to show for the effort.
    The counter rotator is just a right hand with an extra bearing carrier to handle the load when you run it "in reverse". That is why the shift cable direction is reversed for a counter rotator.
    LT

rude tim
    The reason most boats will go faster with the props spinning in is, due to the fact that the leading edge of the pushing side of the prop (the first side that enters the water) is closer together letting the boat to be more free. The transom or bow lift should not change that is more of a function of prop design.