Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comments on Tahoe Boats?

LHC30Victory
    Got a friend that is seriously looking at the Tahoe brand of boat. He wants to stay in the 20 to 22 ft range for general family use (3 kids) and of course $$ is important.
    I don't have any experience with them, can y'all pitch in to give him an idea what quality he is considering?
    PS please be kind :argue:

Ultracrazy
    Got a friend that is seriously looking at the Tahoe brand of boat. He wants to stay in the 20 to 22 ft range for general family use (3 kids) and of course $$ is important.
    I don't have any experience with them, can y'all pitch in to give him an idea what quality he is considering?
    PS please be kind :argue:
    I had a Tahoe deck boat.........sorry........but it was POS and the service was even worse. Don't know about the 20-22 ft.........but I hated mine.
    UC

Jyruiz
    Tahoe is like a Maxum, stay away.

LHC30Victory
    thanks for the input - keep it coming! Specifics are always welcome if you have time.

OLDRAT
    Entry Level, built in the same plant as the Maxums were.
    Gel is inconsistent and wavy (and thin). Overall, probably
    not much better or at least in the same class as a
    Bayliner or Bryant, etc..etc.
    It is a boat for peeps that don't understand boats or know
    how to shop for boats, but just want to go to the lake or river.
    Buy a used higher quality runabout a couple of years old
    and he would be happier.
    OR

Jyruiz
    Entry Level, built in the same plant as the Maxums were.
    Gel is inconsistent and wavy (and thin). Overall, probably
    not much better or at least in the same class as a
    Bayliner or Bryant, etc..etc.
    It is a boat for peeps that don't understand boats or know
    how to shop for boats, but just want to go to the lake or river.
    Buy a used higher quality runabout a couple of years old
    and he would be happier.
    OR
    Yup, I have an 18' Crownline for sale.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2960CR.jpg

2Driver
    Low end of the market in fit ,finish and quality components in my opinion. Go see one, it won't take long to figure it out for yourself.
    If he is in the "family open-bow" market I'd try a Cobalt, Chaparral, Sea ray for decent middle of the road boat. If they are still too pricey new, I'd suggest looking at an 2004-2005 with real light use and a warranty.
    For instance I just picked up a 21' SSI 2004 Chap with 25 hours on it for $10K under what the guy had just paid for it. Deals are out there if you take the time to look.
    good luck

Blacksheep
    Guys,
    Lets keep this in perspective. All of us have "***boats", high performance custom boats for the most part. Not everyone is into them or can afford them.
    For the "average" family boaters, the Searays, Seaswirl, Maxums, Rinkers, Tahoes, etc are just fine. For the most part they are all good quality (I might think twice on Bayliner though).
    How can the Tahoes be built in the same factory when Tracker Marine, division of BassPro Shops, builds them? Different companies folks!
    And how can you say they are for people who don't understand boats or know how to shop for boats? Just because someone doesn't want a mortgage for a boat loan doesn't mean they don't understand boats...get real!!
    As far as Tahoe, I have a friend in MO that owns a 20' model. Great for going out having fun, great for skiing and tubing with the kids. They love it. It's nothing compared to my 27 Shadow but they don't have the money or need for a boat like that. I say if it suits their needs and budget why not. Tracker Marine builds some good all around family boats.

Red Eye
    All boats are going to float... right? It may not be perfect, but how bad can it really be if they're still in business? If they don't have the money and their purpose is to go out on a lake/river and enjoy life, then I'm sure it will be fine. I believe all new boats have warranties, so if there's a problem, it will hopefully get fixed. Who cares about the "bling" factor?

JB in so cal
    LHC,
    I think you'd get a far better response if you went on, say boatingabc.com or something.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast