Thread: Need Ford rebuild instructions

Mighty Thor
    I just got all my parts back from the machine shop and discovered that I am not sure which way to point the pistons/ rods for reasembly. My KB flat tops have a single eyebrow and I believe that goes toward the front of the block, but the balancer marked everthing by cylinder # and then put them all back in the original boxes without any of the instruction or data sheets. I haven't put an engine together from scratch in about 10 years and all the previous ones were Chevy. I am sure I could eventually figure it out, but I am lazy so I decided to ask here.

LakesOnly
    Funny, a few of us had been discussing that there are very few 429/460 rebuild books out there, and we were entertaining the idea of putting something together. One of us would handle the head porting section, the other the oiling mod section, etc. But as of just a few months ago, Kaase started wroking hard on a 460 Performance book.
    In the meanwhile, if it's just no brainer assembly you need assistance with, go out and buy "How to Rebuild Your Big Block Ford," By Tom Monroe. I don't remember the exact title, but the author is definitely Tom Monroe.
    Be aware that this book does not have correct casting numbers and other dimensional info such as combustion chamber volumes, etc. Those lists and tables are filled with inaccuracies, and is very much incorrect...but as far as step-by-step assembly of a regular Ford, it will get the job done.
    Sorry I can't offer a better book, not much out there. There are some other books; investigate yourself.
    LO
    PS: KB's valve relief is for the intake valve; passenger side cylinder bank gets the brow toward the front of the block and the driver's side cylinder bank gets the brow toward the rear of the block.

GofastRacer
    "Ford Performance" by Pat Ganahl has quite a bit of info and a quick build up by Steve Strange. Should be enough for a general rebuild!..

Mighty Thor
    Funny, a few of us had been discussing that there are very few 429/460 rebuild books out there, and we were entertaining the idea of putting something together. One of us would handle the head porting section, the other the oiling mod section, etc. But as of just a few months ago, Kaase started wroking hard on a 460 Performance book.
    In the meanwhile, if it's just no brainer assembly you need assistance with, go out and buy "How to Rebuild Your Big Block Ford," By Tom Monroe. I don't remember the exact title, but the author is definitely Tom Monroe.
    Be aware that this book does not have correct casting numbers and other dimensional info such as combustion chamber volumes, etc. Those lists and tables are filled with inaccuracies, and is very much incorrect...but as far as step-by-step assembly of a regular Ford, it will get the job done.
    Sorry I can't offer a better book, not much out there. There are some other books; investigate yourself.
    LO
    PS: KB's valve relief is for the intake valve; passenger side cylinder bank gets the brow toward the front of the block and the driver's side cylinder bank gets the brow toward the rear of the block.
    Thanks, lakes, I did get both those books, and your right, there isn't much else available except some old Chilton guides for various vehicles. I had all the machine work done so I just have to put things together which I can do but I wanted to make sure I did it right the first time without having to do a couple of trial and error stuff. And your right, I knew the heads reverse, but forgot to mention it. I also know to face the bevel toward the outside of the rod journal, but until I get the block and the crank in the same building I was gonna assemble the rods and pistons but couldn't remember the order as you come from the front of the crank. I was just guessing but assumed it would be 1,5,2,6,3,7,4,8 Thus the eyebrow on each piston should be on the same side as the bevel. Is that right?