Thread: Sub in engine compartment?

kcvega
    I've got 2 10's in the cockpit and was thinking about adding a 15 to pick up the lows a bit. Only place to go would be in the engine compartment. How much would I hear with the hatch closed? Would it be worth it?

Get415
    I don't think you would be able to hear it much but more importantlythe heat back there would destroy a sub. I could be wrong but heat is the enemy.

phebus
    If the two 10's aren't giving you what you need, I would look at replacing them, or the amp to achieve the results you are looking for before I would put another sub in the engine compartment. No reason two 10's wouldn't handle the job if you had the right setup.

707dog
    swap out those 10's for some 12" square kicker L7'S cant go wrong but you will also need some solid power to run them. i have two L7'S in my boat and have one true 1200 watt amp going to each 12 doing major justice, but it also depends on how your boxs are built too!! the 15 is probably not a cool idea in the back if you have the room up front put some 15's where the 10's are..play it loud n proud...my 2cents

kcvega
    The 10's sound really good, 2 Kicker CVR's in .9 cu ft sealed boxes. Just wanted a little more. Never enough ya know.

thmper321
    My buddy had the same problem with his boat so he went to vented enclosures which helped. Vented enclosures are larger than sealed so only do that if you have the space. He later changed to sealed 12's to save some space at a slight loss of output.

Mr. Naudio
    The 10's sound really good, 2 Kicker CVR's in .9 cu ft sealed boxes. Just wanted a little more. Never enough ya know.
    Somtimes you can vent them under seat from engine compartment.
    And what Phebus said.
    Heat should not be an issue.Not any hotter there than in a cuddy much more ventilation in engine compartment.Most times when your rockin the boats not running.

riverbound
    From my experience you will hear little to none of the sub in the enegine compartment.
    You would be better off replacing and upgrading your 10"s to either 12"s or a much better 10.

kcvega
    What would you consider and upgrade to the CVR that would fit in the .9 cu ft boxes? That's all the room I've got. Now they don't sound bad or anything. I was actually surprised and pleased with how they sound. I've got a Power Acoustik a1800db running them at 2 ohms. It says 600rms at 2 ohms. Then that's split to the 2 subs.

WET HULL
    Look in to the JL 10w3v3( 0.625 cu. ft.) or the 12w3v3(1.125 cu. ft). You have a little less then what they require, but I think you will be alright. These subs pound like the older JL W6's. I have two in my boat and I have to turn them down do to the fact they put out so much base. PM me for pricing if you are interested. I will get them to you cheap. Good luck