Thread: Bare Skegs???

VegasHallett
    How many have decided to just strip the skeg and leave it bare instead of repainting after a skeg scratching incident? I've seen many boaters with bare skegs thrughout the launching ramp and was wondering how the aluminum was holding up after a couple of years.

phebus
    I would think that maintenance wouldn't be any more then taking a Scotch Brite pad to it, but I would think that trying to get the existing paint off would be a pain in the ass.

DMOORE
    As long as you keep all of your annodes in good condition, you'll be ok. Never let them get smaller than 50% or you may not have enough protection.
    BTW. there are specific ones for fresh and salt water. If you go in both go with the salt water type.
    Darrell.

VegasHallett
    Getting the paint off is easy. Use chemical stripper for Alum (not applying around water intake and prop shaft area and using a small sanding disk around the delicate areas. Or go to Havasu when the water is down!!!!

Mandelon
    Downriver where we boat I drag the skeg all the time. And its rubbing at the sandbars sometimes too. Its all sand, but it does a number on the paint. I prime and paint it a couple times a season. You can only see it when its on the trailer.

Dominator Scott
    I got sick of touch up the lower unit so I just went with Imco 2"shorties. No touching up and a gained 5mph.
    Hit them with aluminum polish twice a season just to keep a nice shine on them.