Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what rockers are you guys running on your bbc

wickedfab
    i ran aluminum ones until the trunion sp? busted on one and wiped out the motor. brand is unknown. i want a good set that wont let go again. there are on a mild bbc with a hydro cam. will something like the crane golds be fine, i was thinking some crower or comp steel ones?
    what are you running?

WannabeRacing
    Allow me to tell you a little secret. Around 75% of all of the aluminum rocker arms are made by one company. There are many different names, colors, and a few different sizes , but it is all the same thing. In fact, you could call that company and have your name put on them if you order however many sets. So when you hear brand differences, remember, many of the brands are just different colors.
    Another secret. If you are running aluminum rockers, be prepared to have them break. It is just the way it goes. Yeah, they are nice, yeah they are cheap, yeah they make good performance, but they do break. It may take years to do so, but they break. Much is Dependant on the temperatures, warming rituals, time, heating/cooling cycles, spring pressure and rpms. But they will break. I break jesels like clockwork. I think everyone that runs them does. We just know about when they break and change them out. But even then. . . Good maintenance schedules help. When you are putting new pistons, rods, er whatever into the engine for a freshen- buy brand new ones. It is much cheaper than the risk. I know there are guys on here that have run them for an eternity. But that is usually the exceptions and not the general rule. In my opinion, buy a no name brand that looks just like the brand name before buying a well used set at the swap meet. It is like buying used aluminum rods. They look great but you can't know the history.
    Or if you want to get new ones that will outlast the engine- go get a set of the crower stainless deals. They are the best of the bunch by a fair margin. The comps are O.K. and the Cat are rough but decent. The stainless rockers will outlast the aluminum ones.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of a good engine. Any time you hear something not quite right, pull the valve covers. The majority of the failures will be seen there. Catch the problem before it becomes a catastrophe. (Easier said than done, but even caught one time is better than the alternative.)

241Libby
    I just converted to rollers and went with Trick Flows. I also considered the Golds and Harland Sharps and from what I have read and heard, all are pretty good. Trick Flows were right in the middle from a cost standpoint and they are well known for their performance heads among other and doubt they would put their name on an inferior roller.
    Good luck

Moneypitt
    STOCKERS.........8th wonder of the world...........There are some good deals on the Crower SS from Jegs and/or Herbert, but IMO they are not necessary on a mild hyd valvetrain... I'm really curious, how did you manage to break a rocker arm with hydrolic lifters??? What is the seat pressure?.........MP
    PS: We have ran the same 16 Crowers in the PS boat since 1989 and before. Never a problem with the valvetrain with 225 on the seat and up to 7850 RPMs........BUT, we do run a rev kit, and a girdle..........

DetroitJim
    What he said, mild hydraulic cam, put the stockers back on it and go for a boat ride.

Unchained
    Or if you want to get new ones that will outlast the engine- go get a set of the crower stainless deals. They are the best of the bunch by a fair margin.
    I was glad to read this, I've run the stainless Crowers for 7 seasons.

wickedfab
    thnx thats some good info. im probably ganna sac up and get the crowers. when it broke i didnt here a thing. at 5k rpm it felt like it ran out of fuel. tried to start it and it didnt budge. this was at the end of last season and now trying to get ready for this season. the rocker broke and wedged the valve open, piston took off the valve at the stem and rattled around a bit. i found valve in the piston and headers etc. pulled it apart and already got the head redone, just some ported ovals and the short block needs a piston. so i guess it wasnt too bad. but the motor i have goint in is a rec port running aluminum rockers and i want piece of mind on the water. im assuming it broke like said above years of abuse. next season will be valve springs/some porting, and a solid roller cam.

Jetaholic
    I'll be running Scorpion roller rockers on mine. Under the spring pressures I'm running (395lbs open pressure) these will be perfect. They're rated for about 800lbs.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Aluminums break, period
    When I upgrade from my stockers, I'm intending to go Comp Pro Magnum Steels, for less $$$ than a LOT of aluminums, and never worry about them.

texas-19
    Aluminums break, period
    When I upgrade from my stockers, I'm intending to go Comp Pro Magnum Steels, for less $$$ than a LOT of aluminums, and never worry about them.
    Same here,comp cams pro magnums stainless steel for several years on a solid roller,worry free.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast